Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on

Read 36474 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on
      Reply #46: Nov 05, 2012 05:44:05 pm
      Some people cannot see a priest in a mountain of sugar?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on
      Reply #47: Nov 05, 2012 05:46:01 pm
      I do but your "losing one in three" wasn't accurate  ;D

Over the last few seasons it is very much correct.

And let's be honest, if you're dropping points through constantly failing to break down teams or losing games.. then you're still dropping points

I'm starting to get sick of this slow decline into mediocrity.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #48: Nov 05, 2012 06:02:47 pm
      If we win all our remaining games we can still win the league.Its a stupid idea isn't it last years form and form this season suggests we will continue to drop points and fall behind.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #49: Nov 05, 2012 06:05:10 pm
      If we win all our remaining games we can still win the league.Its a stupid idea isn't it last years form and form this season suggests we will continue to drop points and fall behind.

No more stupid than saying we can take nearly all of the remaining 84 points.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Nov 05, 2012 06:22:57 pm
      Huge opportunity missed to gain points on so many that were above us, realistically that wont happen often this season and although 6 points may seem like a small margin it's the fact that there are 8 teams above us preventing us from getting in the top 4. I personally believe it would take a massive investment in January to give us any chance and even before then a huge improvement in terms of putting the ball in the back of the net.

Realistically I think we may be battling out for around 6th this season, although it's only 1/4 of the way through the season we've already seen enough to realise we're going to struggle putting a run of many wins together quite simply because of the strength of the squad. We will pick up injuries, everybody does, thankfully the return of Lucas will give us a nice boost but I don't think 4th is realistic at all this year unfortunately.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Nov 05, 2012 06:32:30 pm
      Over the last few seasons it is very much correct.

And let's be honest, if you're dropping points through constantly failing to break down teams or losing games.. then you're still dropping points

I'm starting to get sick of this slow decline into mediocrity.

Awe bless  :(  Here's a suggestion then mate, why don't you nip over Stanley Park and start watching a team that's on the up  ;)
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #52: Nov 05, 2012 06:40:42 pm
      I'm sick of reading this.

Beat the teams we should be beating? What makes you think we'll suddenly be kicking into the habit of doing that with our incredibly thin squad? What evidence in the last couple of years do you find to give us hope we'll not continue to lose one in three? To repeatedly drop points at home?

The point is we are consistently NOT beating the teams we should be and haven't for years.

I'm sick of reading that it'll all be okay because suddenly our home form will suddenly leap to near title winning standards.

I'll respect your opinion mate.  However, mine is that we are not that bad off right now.  We have one of the 3 best keepers in the league in Pepe, one of the best defenses in the league in Johno-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique, and the best midfield in the league in Allen-Lucas-Gerrard.  We also have (in my humble opinion) the 3rd best creative player in the world behind Messi and Ronaldo - take a bow Luis!! 

Add to that the fact that we have what looks to me like a golden generation of young players coming through the ranks Kelly, Wisdom, Coates, Robinson, Suso, and Sterling and I personally think things look very bright moving forward!! 

We are undeniably a few players short of having a title winning squad.  We need two additional top class forwards, another backup CB (Carra's replacement), and potentially a better LB (Enrique is our one weak link in defense) and we'd look like world beaters.  I'll throw it out there - if we had picked up Michu and Dempsey for a combined 8M quid in the summer, I believe that we would be sitting in the top 5 right now.  As it stands, we missed the boat on those two, but that doesn't put us down and out.  We will need to recruit in January (hopefully as early as possible) and we have to hope that Luis can stay injury/suspension free in the meantime.  I'll remain positive and optimistic about our chances in the meantime as well :)
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #53: Nov 05, 2012 06:42:35 pm
      Awe bless  :(  Here's a suggestion then mate, why don't you nip over Stanley Park and start watching a team that's on the up  ;)

I don't think on my time on this forum I deserve a response like that, with smiley's or without.

I'm not some clueless, knee-jerking whopper, I'm a red who is fed up of what has happened to us recently and want's to see it improve. Patience I can deal with but not blind faith.

The club needs to sort itself out and ask what it's priorities are, top to bottom. We need to win games most of all and we need to be trying to signing quality players and constantly moving forward... not penny-pinching.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Nov 05, 2012 06:45:37 pm
      I don't think on my time on this forum I've earned a response like that, with smiley's or without.

I'm not some clueless, knee-jerking whopper, I'm a red who is fed up of what has happened to us recently and want's to see it improve. Patience I can deal with but not blind faith.

We all do mate but we all deal with it in different ways.  Mine is to remain positive and keep things in perspective.

Keep smiling and keep the faith, it will get better  :hug:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #55: Nov 05, 2012 06:57:23 pm
      Rafa was the last owners and these owners biggest failing.

Common link Ian Ayres
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Nov 05, 2012 07:03:27 pm
      The irony of all these dissing Rafa and telling us to support Brendan as we do, will be the first to turn on Rodgers as they did with Rafa and all us that still respect Rafa will still be backing Rodgers, just as we did Rafa.

Got to love em though.

So F**k if Rafa's shadow looms large, so does Kenny's, Shanks, Paisleys etc.

There's a reason for this, they are legends and hopey one day, Rodgers shadow will loom large with them and not with the stench of worthers originals left by Woy Hodgson.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #57: Nov 05, 2012 07:20:07 pm
      No more stupid than saying we can take nearly all of the remaining 84 points.
      Thats the point some people think we can but so far this season including last season there is no evidence of that type of improvement.
      Being optimistic doesn't make anyone a better supporter. Whilst as we stand today top 4 is still with in reach but if our current form continues until Jan it will be an impossibility.
      All we can hope for is an influx of quality in January and a glimpse of what next season may hold.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #58: Nov 05, 2012 07:23:07 pm
      The irony of all these dissing Rafa and telling us to support Brendan as we do, will be the first to turn on Rodgers as they did with Rafa and all us that still respect Rafa will still be backing Rodgers, just as we did Rafa.

Got to love em though.

So f**k if Rafa's shadow looms large, so does Kenny's, Shanks, Paisleys etc.

There's a reason for this, they are legends and hopey one day, Rodgers shadow will loom large with them and not with the stench of worthers originals left by Woy Hodgson.
      Have you noticed the phrase used "I love Rafa But " or I love Kenny but".
      I dont love Brendan yet because he hasnt done anything of note but given the backing I am sure he will do us all proud but until then I will continue to bring Kenny and Rafa into topics as they are both very relevant to Brendan having a job here.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #59: Nov 05, 2012 07:43:30 pm
      Back on topic, we only had a glimmer of a hope to finish in the top 4 at the start of the season, and we've already pretty much thrown that away with disappointing results. I, for one, think we still have a long shot, but it would have to be a completely uncharacteristic run of results for that to happen. I'm a man of numbers and just can't see us beating the odds.

I think the top 4 will go:

United
      City
      Chelsea
      Tottenham

then:

Arsenal
      Liverpool (if we sign a striker in January)
      Everton
      Newcastle

And that's ok with me. I didn't expect it this year. The team is dealing with learning a new way of playing and the lack of goals in the team is piling the pressure on the defense.

I do expect it next year, as long as we don't get rid of any key players and make two to four additional signings. Until then, I'll continue to cheer for the squad and be pissed when they don't get in the F***ing box.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #60: Nov 05, 2012 07:47:06 pm
      Rafa has zero relevance to our current situation and our manager.

Time to look forward instead of harking back for past sort of glories.

Rafa had his time at the club and it was full of ups and downs and ending with a down. He had his time at the club now it's someone else's time to build a team. He needs to be given the chance and time to build us back again. We have spent the last 3 seasons under different managers and different owners going backwards - now let someone stop that slide and turn things around - its been only ten games in the prem and the murmurings of Rafa are floating around and it's unfair on the current manager.

Far too much talk about how Rafa would get us back to glory years ! What if he couldn't and continued the vein of his last season ? Then who would people murmur about ?  GH next because he also got us into the CL a few times - had a couple title challenges and double the amount if trophies as Rafa including the wonderful treble.

Let them be wonderful memories and let BR make his own memories for us to cherish in the future. He can't do that with a divided fanbase and a quiet Anfield.

The club and team need us - lets be there for them
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #61: Nov 05, 2012 07:47:07 pm
      Past managers will always be brought up mate especially in the recent past as they are the recent yard stick for comparisons.

Some posters need to get that through their thick heads.

I mentioned Woy Hodgson in this thread, by their logic I must want Woy to replace to Rodgers, if it wasn't so F***ing pathetic it would be laughable.

The vast majority support Brendan and have faith in his vision for the club, we know he was hindered in the summer by cost cutting and he's doing what he can with the hand we've been dealt.

When certain posters realise you can discuss Rafa or Kenny without wanting Rodgers out, the better responses they'll get without threads being derailed and seeing people slating Rafa, they want to give their heads a wobble (muppets).
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #62: Nov 05, 2012 07:50:00 pm
      People will be at times critical about Rafa because he did make mistakes - pretty crucial mistakes at times - not everything about Rafa was perfect. He did some great things but he also fu**ed up times. Got to have balance
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #63: Nov 05, 2012 07:52:13 pm
      Past managers will always be brought up mate especially in the recent past as they are the recent yard stick for comparisons.

Some posters need to get that through their thick heads.

I mentioned Woy Hodgson in this thread, by their logic I must want Woy to replace to Rodgers, if it wasn't so f**king pathetic it would be laughable.

The vast majority support Brendan and have faith in his vision for the club, we know he was hindered in the summer by cost cutting and he's doing what he can with the hand we've been dealt.

When certain posters realise you can discuss Rafa or Kenny without wanting Rodgers out, the better responses they'll get without threads being derailed and seeing people slating Rafa, they want to give their heads a wobble (muppets).

A well put point mate, there's noting wrong with talking about the past so long as we're seeing the future at the same time. Liverpool football club is Liverpool football club because of our history embrace it all and  let it inspire us to new successes under Rodgers. YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #64: Nov 05, 2012 07:53:23 pm
      It's very true George, too often people look back at Rafa's reign with rose coloured glasses. Yes I'm a Rafa fan and would of had him back in a heartbeat but he was far from perfect too.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #65: Nov 05, 2012 07:57:22 pm
      Rafa Benitez! Rafa Benitez!.

Had us punching above our weight, taking scalps of the likes of Barca, Madrid,Juve,Chavs.....this is where we want to be again that's all but it looks like a monumental task at present.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #66: Nov 05, 2012 08:00:45 pm
      No ones saying Rafa is perfect George, so show me one post where any one has declared him to be so, now stop switching the goal posts for fucks sake.

Current success will always be compared to past success regardless of its when Rafa was manager or when Ronnie Moran or Phil Thompson stepped in for a few games.

When discussing these success's the most recent success's are logically going to be the yard stick for comparisons and the manager who brought that success will no doubt be mentioned.

The way you are going on about 'Rafa's shadow looming large' everytime you get a chance to say it is beginning to make me think your trying to convince yourself or every one else you don't want Rafa back when you're really fighting with the fact you do.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #67: Nov 05, 2012 08:02:09 pm
      It's very true George, too often people look back at Rafa's reign with rose coloured glasses. Yes I'm a Rafa fan and would of had him back in a heartbeat but he was far from perfect too.

Exactly mate - I never wanted him to leave and wanted him back as soon as Woy was fu**ed off. But it's gone now and we need to move on.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #68: Nov 05, 2012 08:06:12 pm
      No ones saying Rafa is perfect George, so show me one post where any one has declared him to be so, now stop switching the goal posts for fucks sake.

Current success will always be compared to past success regardless of its when Rafa was manager or when Ronnie Moran or Phil Thompson stepped in for a few games.

When discussing these success's the most recent success's are logically going to be the yard stick for comparisons and the manager who brought that success will no doubt be mentioned.

The way you are going on about 'Rafa's shadow looming large' everytime you get a chance to say it is beginning to make me think your trying to convince yourself or every one else you don't want Rafa back when you're really fighting with the fact you do.

You only have to read the responses when someone mentions any error of Rafa to see that people have selective memory and just can't bear to realise how he fecked up at times.

I don't want Rafa back anymore - I did at one point but that's past now and I want BR to be our manager. Ask the same question and I wonder how many would swap right now.

There is no moving of goalposts - there is just facts and opinions.

Quick Reply