Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

A public service message to 'fans'

Read 23489 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      what gives people the right to criticise RAFA
      Reply #138: Feb 09, 2009 04:49:52 pm
      Its an open question no hidden meaning. I get angry at people for criticising him and here's why. For over 40 years I have supported the Reds my dad before me and his before him way back to the 1920's I expect there are many like me on here. I have never known such negativity at the club especially from the Boardand now apparently from "fans". I see lots of people on forums having a go at Rafa and when I have a go back I am told they are entitled to their opinion. Well are they really?. Do they have to be a season ticket holder ,a born and bred scouser or can anyone declare themselves a Liverpool supporter and feel free to try and rip them apart when they feel like it. At the moment I cant get to as many matches as I would like and I feel that because of that I don't really have a right to criticise the players or the manager instead I think they deserve my support because LFC means so much to me that it irks me to see people constantly sniping at them. So If I am wrong and the criticisers are the lads and lasses that go to home and away games week in week out then I apologise for I believe these are the true supporters and its them that I usually find are very supportive of Rafa and his team.

I'm critical of Benitez for many reasons and just because he's Liverpool manager doesn't mean I can't question what he does.

I would like to know however if you one of the few who never wanted Souness gone or if you thought one more year and Houllier will turn it around? I wouldn't be surprised if you (or anybody for that matter) come on and say "they always got my support". Sometimes though support is what holds us back, Houllier lasted one year too long because of the support he got (this coming from one of Houllie's biggest fans as well). That's what took us back again and has made Benitez' good work look like mircale work.

For me people's blinded opinion of Benitez is down to two things, neither of which actually happens to be "oh he's Liverpool manager therefore I love him." One is obviously that night where the unthinkable happened and we reclaimed the European Cup in Istanbul. Since that happened people have generally accepted Benitez as one of the greatest European managers of his time, I know I have. It also took fans love affair with him to new heights and because of that night in 2005 people still believe we've got to take what he does as always right. The other is what happened off the field with the Yanks and with Parry. Because people took such a hatred to the owners and CEO (rightfully) they think Benitez is again always right. Now from a personal perspective I've never thought Benitez was faultless in the what happened off the field and that's one of the things I'm very critical of him about.

I support Benitez, whether or not I'm critical of him. So I think people have every right to be critical of Benitez, providing they're willing to give him the praise he deserves. Some aren't and won't see any right in what he does, some won't see any wrong in what he does. I support Liverpool but have a football brain which is why I can see the good and bad in Benitez (and most things football). I don't let my love for the club blind me.
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 05:21:24 pm by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: A public service message to 'fans'
      Reply #139: Feb 09, 2009 05:30:49 pm
      The point I was trying to make is this. Is it right that just anyone can have a go at Rafa without knopwing wether or not they are really a supporter (whatever that is).
      No I didn't want Souness to go. I was sad to see Evans go Houlier was never the same after his op and his parting was sad also.So yes I supported them all. I think someone else made the point that a balanced view would be tolerated much more than a I just dont like RAFA rant.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #140: Feb 09, 2009 05:39:12 pm
      In the past few weeks we have had a couple of people generally slagging off Rafa and these users have eventually turned out to be Everton fans or United fans, pretending to be reds.

I can understand people criticising Rafa - he has made some major errors - I'll be the first to admit it.  But I still believe that calling for his head in the middle of a match, or when we are challenging for a title makes me very dubious about people's motives.  By all means people can be critical, but calling for Rafa's head right now is definitely not 'the Liverpool way'.  Not when we're involved in a title challenge which is what we've all been going about for 19 years.

No one person is bigger than the club - but the manager runs the football club.  He picks the players, the results we get are his responsibility, he (is supposed to) choose the players we buy.

At the end of the season we will see if we have progressed, not after 70 minutes of a game at Fratton Park.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #141: Feb 09, 2009 05:43:37 pm
      The point I was trying to make is this. Is it right that just anyone can have a go at Rafa without knopwing wether or not they are really a supporter (whatever that is).

In a word yes.

No I didn't want Souness to go. I was sad to see Evans go Houlier was never the same after his op and his parting was sad also.So yes I supported them all.

So you were happy for us to go backwards which we were under both Souness and at the end of Houllier's reign just so you can "I support the club." Part of a supporter's job is to want the best for this club, neither Souness or post heart attack Houllier were the best for this club so as supporters we should want them out. Not wanting them out was hindering the club, not (in my opinion) supporting.

I think someone else made the point that a balanced view would be tolerated much more than a I just dont like RAFA rant.

Well I do try and be balanced, not just rant about the manager.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #142: Feb 09, 2009 06:24:25 pm
       I agree a good balanced view point is difficult to argue with. But thats not what we always get. SOmebody posted Rafa has no charisma!!!!!. Paisley was a shy and charming man but never charasmatic Shanks was just Shanks I dont think they have a word to describe him. If you have a long history of support it doesnt necessarily show on here and because of that you dont know who it is slagging off Rafa and the Club and I was asking if these people hava a right to do this unchecked.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #143: Feb 09, 2009 07:16:00 pm
      I agree a good balanced view point is difficult to argue with. But thats not what we always get. SOmebody posted Rafa has no charisma!!!!!. Paisley was a shy and charming man but never charasmatic Shanks was just Shanks I dont think they have a word to describe him. If you have a long history of support it doesnt necessarily show on here and because of that you dont know who it is slagging off Rafa and the Club and I was asking if these people hava a right to do this unchecked.

I think to be fair mate most (not all) on here have a real understanding of our traditions and past. I'd like to believe I do (thanks to me Dad). I don't really think there's a way of checking who is and who isn't a genuine Liverpool fan before they've posted. Those who have really laid into Benitez have been found out to be fans of other clubs (why they'd waste their time on a Liverpool baffles me, shows how pathetic they are). Of course there's the odd Liverpool fan who sees so no right in Benitez but that's up to them. Maybe they've just had too long of no league titles and lost patience with Benitez. Or they may be paid to come on here and take advice of made up bookmakers.

But in general I wouldn't let it worry you. You're a big fan of Benitez, and often give valid reasons as to why. If somebody disagrees then just debate it, the way Liverpool fans should. Don't lower yourself to insults and that (I know you haven't) because you lose credibility. I did the other day and for that I appologise because it was silly of me. But I still stand by the reasons I said what I did even if not the words I used. So again, just continue to debate with the majority of those on here who like yourself share a wealth of knowledge where Liverpool Football Club is concerned and allow those who don't have the knowledge argue and bicker amongst themselves.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #144: Feb 09, 2009 08:06:59 pm
      When I saw the line up for the match yest I just could not believe it. Skytel at full back. Arbeloa on wing. Aurelio in midfield. Ngog up front! I mean, what the ?! From a team looking to win the premiership?!!? Things went pear shaped and Rafa had to bring on the guys who should've started the game, and they scraped a fantastic 3 points. Many pints were had afterward :-) But unfortunately I saw that as a win despite Rafa, not because of him. Torres , who's getting back to his best, the difference this time.
      Question - if you query some of Rafa's decisions are you not a true fan of LFC? Do you need to be a headless chicken to support LFC?

I see things differently.

The line up was interesting and they played well. Babel missed a sitter that could have put us ahead. The two goals Portsmouth scored were not because the controlled the game or beat our players silly, No. One was a defensive error and the other, a freekick that was not justified. Aurelio played well, so also Arbeloa.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having players that can play in more than one position. Aurelio proved himself to be both a good LB, & LW so also Arbeloa RB & RW.

The selection actually controlled the game. Rafa knew what he was doing.
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #145: Feb 10, 2009 09:19:13 am
      I can completely see what chrouchinio is saying, i have every confidence in Rafa and am 100% behind the team. Its a results business and we took 3 points from Fratton Park. I personaly dont see how anyone can argue with the job Benitez is doing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #146: Feb 22, 2009 05:01:32 pm
      Lets get a few things straight; Lucas didnt lose us the match and Rafa didnt lose us the match

I'm disappointed just like the lot of you, i think its going to be very difficult to catch Scum but we're not out of this no matter what you read/hear.

Let the boys know we're not against them too. We're going to need everyone to be positive, supportive and patient in the run in.

YNWA my fellow reds, because we're never down and out until the final whistle goes in the final match of the season.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #147: Feb 22, 2009 05:21:47 pm
      Lets get a few things straight; Lucas didnt lose us the match and Rafa didnt lose us the match

I'm disappointed just like the lot of you, i think its going to be very difficult to catch Scum but we're not out of this no matter what you read/hear.

Let the boys know we're not against them too. We're going to need everyone to be positive, supportive and patient in the run in.

YNWA my fellow reds, because we're never down and out until the final whistle goes in the final match of the season.

Well said, and i agree 100%. Like I said yesterday, in the last two seasons United have dropped 10 points in the last 13 games, in both seasons. Now as far as I know if they do drop another 10 points and we are 7 points behind, we are in with a pretty good shout! Keep the faith, the media will no doubt write off our chances, so we should show support!
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #148: Mar 06, 2009 07:13:29 pm
      I want to be realistic and think that we COULD win the league but its not in our hands.
      We still have to pray that ManUre drop silly points. 
      BUT we have to get our own house in order so that if/when it happens we can be in a postion to cappitalise.
      Not play like ****s like we did against 'Boro.  Opportunity wasted again.  It happens though.

Get behind the team, and if you feel the need to boo our own players, f*** off home and let real supporters buy the tickets.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #149: Mar 11, 2009 01:28:27 am
      I can't say but they are based in London, as am I and they know my connection to the club and my very vocal, negative opinions on the manager and they have provided my with benefits to voice MY opinions on here.

I have to say they have NOT paid me to write anything that I didn't think and they have NOT provided me with a script or guidelines.
      You gave me a neg and called me a WUM.,hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #150: Mar 18, 2009 09:45:32 pm
      Source... a bookmaker from Ladbrokes in London, an investment analyst from RBS and a journalist from a certain newspaper who's name would not be welcome on these boards!

The journo and the banking bloke I wouldn't take any notice of, the booky however, I do listen to him! It's just that all 3 said the same thing to me a couple of weeks agao.

No odds, I've just bet £1000 with a mate who was with us, that the info the others my other friends gave us would come true. My friend is a Red also and he thinks Rafa will be here next year. He thinks that me and the others are on a wind up...

I've said if he doesn't go I'll pay my friend £1000. If it works out the other way I'll give the winnings to cancer research - not a joke, its too serious and personal to joke about that.

I hope skinny has paid his mate the "£1000" that they wagered about the demise of Rafa!!  :laugh:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #151: Nov 05, 2011 05:09:27 pm
      Bump and a F***ing half.

I'm sick and F***ing tired of the same F***ing people posting before half time that we're not going to win. If you feel that way, you can go and F***ing support another club who will fulfil your ambitions.

3 months in to the new season and it's already apparent that some people have forgotten what exactly it felt like to watch a Liverpool game this time last year. Those were some F***ing low times and this pales in comparison.

We used to proud, always showed dignity as fans, supported the team until the death and we were usually rewarded with that attitude. Nope, not these days. It's doom mongering horse sh*t attitudes that flood this club these days and it makes me sick. It used to be mentioned that we were a force with Kenny in charge, the whole club was united and we were as loud as fans could be. Well i haven't seen that for 3 seasons and it's F***ing depressing.

The attitude of most these days in now 'the players should make us cheer them.' Well no it F***ing shouldnt be like that. We used to lift the team whenever they were down, give them belief that they could beat anyone and it worked. We thumped the best of them not so long ago. Now it's just silent singing and constant moaning.

Pull your F***ing heads in and realise the foundation this club was built and and ask yourself if your showing that attitude because right now more than half of ye's aren't and it's plain embarrassing to see this club being dragged down by the groaning, over-opinionated nobodies who have the footballing intelligence of an ant when compared to the man running this club right now.

Rant over. Good F***ing night.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #152: Nov 05, 2011 05:13:06 pm
      Were we home or away today? Couldn't tell.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #153: Nov 05, 2011 05:26:08 pm
      Would people prefer if we ignored our failings. Would people feel better then. Every one here supports Liverpool and wants us to be successful as we can be but to be hopping off fans who are disappointed over the performance and result is madness
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #154: Nov 05, 2011 05:28:32 pm
      Ah Corbally you're back in good voice. Awfully quiet there for awhile.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #155: Nov 05, 2011 05:37:26 pm
      Would people prefer if we ignored our failings. Would people feel better then. Every one here supports Liverpool and wants us to be successful as we can be but to be hopping off fans who are disappointed over the performance and result is madness

Point out our failings, we all know you love to, but doing it during a match? At the 30 minute mark? Spare me the sh*t, corbs. That is a pathetic, defeatist attitude.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #156: Nov 05, 2011 05:39:41 pm

No one's ignoring our failings. We all expect much better performances. But sometimes things don't go our way for whatever reason and its the fickle-minded "fans" that creep out of the woodwork that takes the piss. Who, by the way, magically disappear when we win.

Some people don't seem to understand the meaning of sticking together through thick and thin. They seem to be more concerned about wanting to be proved right.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #157: Nov 05, 2011 05:42:47 pm
      How have i the defeatish attitude because im not happy with the performance or the result and managementexpect more from a Liverpool team and management aybe there should be no match thread then crouch. If people are not allowed highlight something that is not working. Your comment as well was a wind up comment as well ive being around long enough to spot one
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #158: Nov 05, 2011 05:46:38 pm
      Bump and a f***ing half.

I'm sick and f***ing tired of the same f***ing people posting before half time that we're not going to win. If you feel that way, you can go and f***ing support another club who will fulfil your ambitions.

3 months in to the new season and it's already apparent that some people have forgotten what exactly it felt like to watch a Liverpool game this time last year. Those were some f***ing low times and this pales in comparison.

We used to proud, always showed dignity as fans, supported the team until the death and we were usually rewarded with that attitude. Nope, not these days. It's doom mongering horse sh*t attitudes that flood this club these days and it makes me sick. It used to be mentioned that we were a force with Kenny in charge, the whole club was united and we were as loud as fans could be. Well i haven't seen that for 3 seasons and it's f***ing depressing.

The attitude of most these days in now 'the players should make us cheer them.' Well no it f***ing shouldnt be like that. We used to lift the team whenever they were down, give them belief that they could beat anyone and it worked. We thumped the best of them not so long ago. Now it's just silent singing and constant moaning.

Pull your f***ing heads in and realise the foundation this club was built and and ask yourself if your showing that attitude because right now more than half of ye's aren't and it's plain embarrassing to see this club being dragged down by the groaning, over-opinionated n*bodies who have the footballing intelligence of an ant when compared to the man running this club right now.

Rant over. Good f***ing night.

Spot on, absolutely disgraceful "support" from some of our "supporters" today.

No one's ignoring our failings. We all expect much better performances. But sometimes things don't go our way for whatever reason and its the fickle-minded "fans" that creep out of the woodwork that takes the piss. Who, by the way, magically disappear when we win.

Some people don't seem to understand the meaning of sticking together through thick and thin. They seem to be more concerned about wanting to be proved right.

Again, spot on.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #159: Nov 05, 2011 05:49:21 pm
      How have i the defeatish attitude because im not happy with the performance or the result and managementexpect more from a Liverpool team and management aybe there should be no match thread then crouch. If people are not allowed highlight something that is not working. Your comment as well was a wind up comment as well ive being around long enough to spot one

What part of supporting my F***ing team is a wind up comment? The nerve to criticise what i post, when not even half time you say we won't win. And i'm the WUM.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #160: Nov 05, 2011 05:53:53 pm
      Ya debate what i F***ing say and leave out the personal digs. I left the school yard a long time ago. Good to see the superfan is alive as well more concerned with what other fans are saying then the performance and result. This is a forum F***ing debate instead of trying to make yourselves look like the teams number 1 fan

Quick Reply