Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge

Read 41764 times
      Deller
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts |
      Re: Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge
      Reply #23: Mar 01, 2009 04:16:27 pm
      The first position we need strengthing, which has already been mentioned a couple of times, is the Anfield faithful.  I've been to several home games this season and the atmosphere has been...........well there hasn't been one, we need to start deploying that same level of support as the fans do in home European ties, what a difference it makes to the players performances.  Yes the fans feed off the players and the players feed off the fans but IMO they have both been very flat in most of our home games in the league.

With regards to positions on the pitch the most important place we need strengthening is up front, whether it be someone to work alongside Torres or someone to share his role, that's up to Rafa, but we most definately need a second world class striker.
      I would also say we need 2 quality wingers, one for each side.  Wingers who will keep the width and go past players with the ability to put in decent crosses at the end of it.

The rest of the park we do pretty much have quality players for every position, we just need to ship out some of those poor quality fringe players and replace them with, stronger, more physical ones or even give some of the youngsters ago, what chance have they been given this season, very little at all.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #24: Mar 01, 2009 04:34:54 pm
      Our financial situation->  That's the core thing in order for us to buy good and quality players that we desperately need.  Quality wingers and world class striker don't come cheap.

And I don't think the Yanks want to fork 40-50 million to buy 3 players.   
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Mar 01, 2009 05:02:17 pm
      We have got an excellent spine, Reina, Carra + all other cBS ( who are quality). Gerard, alonso, Masch and of course Torres. We need to build more around our spine, so we have to look  at wingers and maybe one more full back to complement our fantastic spine.

We need more creative players, to unlock defence, as well as being albe to score goals, in the mould of Yossi, particularly in games at home.

Man Utd have many match winners. If we can add one more to our team then we willl have a great chance next season.  Its certainly not going to be easy with our finances ,so Rafa has got a tough task on his hands.

We are hard to beat which is excellent. We just need more attacking potency to makes it eeasier for us to win in tight matches. nevertheless, we are geting there.

I agree with posters about our home atmosphere. The frustration does effect players on the pitch. It's not always easy for us but cases such as the booing after the 0-0 draw against West Ham needs to be eliminated next season.
      mitch31
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 01, 2009 05:21:12 pm
      first off we need a new manager we've lost 2 games this season but we're out off the title race the manager
      has lost us the league with his decision's of putting second rate players in who aren't good enough for
      wba nevermind liverpool,why sell keane when all we've got in reserve in ngog(couldn't trap a bag of sand)
      babbel(worse 12 million we have spent) and kuyt who is suppose 2 be a striker but can't hit a barn door
      we have 2 full back's who are very average lucas is the worst brazilian i have seen and i won't say anything about dossena!!!
      we play boring percentage football which is why we have drawn so many games this season we should be 9 point's clear
      of the mancs yet we find ourselves out of the title race and our manager now says we must concentrate
      on the champion's league what a joke
      as i said benitez out let him go 2 madrid and lets get an attacking manager in like rikarrd and have a go at winning the title!!! :mad: :mad:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #27: Mar 01, 2009 05:23:25 pm
      We need a new Manager..i think, this is the area that we need to strengthening..
      manager that know how to manage the team..!!!??

I suggest..1.Maurinho (Inter Milan)
                  ..2.Sam Allardyce ( Blackburn)
      Sam allardyce fck this is in the wrong thread should be in the jokes section must have been on the piss when you wrote this.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Mar 01, 2009 05:28:10 pm
      We need a new Manager..I think, this is the area that we need to strengthening..
      manager that know how to manage the team..!!!??

..2.Sam Allardyce ( Blackburn)

You are Craig Allardyce and I claim my £5  ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #29: Mar 01, 2009 06:30:55 pm
      The thing is we have lacked goals especially of late, but then we have to consider that Torres has only had 11 starts in the league this season and has scored 8 goals, which is about the same ratio as last season, but has had so many spells with injury.  Gerrard has been scoring as usual. 

I think two areas are very important to improve our chances, but saying that we could have done better this season if we didn’t have as many injury problems to our goal getters.   Though I do think the right midfield needs a better bench mark, we really need a very good player their that can not only contribute with goals but actually make things happen.  Kuyt does a job as a goal scorer, but we desperately need something extra.   The second thing we need to do is actually by hook or crook get Barry, we have missed him this season, he is a versatile player and we have had problems earlier at LB, CM when we have been short and now with Riera’s dip in form at LM.

I think with the striker it is a very difficult situation and something needs to be done, but what I don’t have any real suggestions.  Do you go for another very good striker that will not sit on the bench and is likely to not succeed in developing a successful partnership with Torres.  We can’t really go out and spend too much on this sort of player that is going to be a high risk player.   If Torres and Gerrard are both fit we have one of the most lethal pairing in Europe as proved last season, and there is no place for any other apart from precautionary resting and both Gerrard and Torres when completely injury free are very fit athletes. 

For me the priority is to increase the goals from midfield which Barry will do.  The second midfielder will have to also do the same and we have to hope that Riera and Benayoun will start to add more goals to their games.
      eggsterlfc
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #30: Mar 01, 2009 06:39:44 pm
      Can't believe anyone would even think about Sam Allardyce never mind suggest it.

Definitely need to strengthen the attacking options. Too many draws this season that with attacking players that could create and finish chances we could have won.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009 06:43:14 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Awful spelling, no capital letters, and text language. »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #31: Mar 01, 2009 06:47:27 pm
      Just out of interest, if at the start of the season I had said that Torres will be out for most of the season and constantly struggle with injury - as would Gerrard - who would have had us certs for the title?
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #32: Mar 01, 2009 06:48:56 pm
      I know he'd be expensive, but I'd kill to see David Silva play for us.
      Great player, can play either on the left, in the hole and on the right. Can finish, has a great cross, dribbles well.

Benayoun-----Gerrard-----David Silva
      Behind Torres.

And a back up striker.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #33: Mar 01, 2009 06:52:53 pm
      Just out of interest, if at the start of the season I had said that Torres will be out for most of the season and constantly struggle with injury - as would Gerrard - who would have had us certs for the title?

Thats what knee jerkers are failing to realise, Utd with all there star studded side still look sh*t without Ronaldo, yet its never the same for us.  FFS the best partnership since the great King Kenny and Rush parnership was comprimised for most of the season and we have still done so well.
      BIG BOB
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 01, 2009 09:40:40 pm
      a fully fit torres needs a quality partner up front. he looks so lost on his own. 2 quality full backs espcially on the left. and a top notch right sided midfielder/winger of which kuyt is neither.also a lot of dead wood could be got rid of, kuyt,lucas,ngog,el nazar,degan,dossena, i could go on....
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #35: Mar 01, 2009 09:52:23 pm
      We need to sell some crap, Lucas, Babel, Andiry, Dossena and maybe Skrtel. Overall we could get around 25 million for them which would be great... then the buying starts.

We need a couple of backup strikers to Torres, we have N'Gog, Sometimes Kuyt and Babel. None of them are great finishers and they hardly make an impact, except Dirk on the odd occasion. Javier Saviola dosent get played at Madrid nowdays and he's quick, great on the counter and most importantly can hit the back of the oppsitions net. Plus he'd be on the cheap. After that call Nemeth up to the first team, he hasn't played in the Premiership yet, and i fear a team might come in for him and i dont want to see him go as i feel he could be great in the future. He's only 20, but he was great in the reserves last season and he's mature enough to make the step. Now for a Right Winger, i love Kuyt, he works his arse off and loves the club but i feel we need a better Right Winger, someone who can Cross, has got pace and Score. Antonio Valencia anyone? A backup Right Back is also needed, also as Degen is always, always injured!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #36: Mar 01, 2009 09:55:01 pm
      We need to sell some crap, Lucas, Babel, Andiry, Dossena and maybe Skrtel. Overall we could get around 25 million for them which would be great... then the buying starts.

Your joking about the Skrtel bit right?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #37: Mar 01, 2009 09:59:19 pm
      a fully fit torres needs a quality partner up front. he looks so lost on his own.

So does he play better for Spain with a world class strike partner then!   If  he was lost last season then I think not enough of our players have been getting lost this season!
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #38: Mar 01, 2009 10:05:05 pm
      Your joking about the Skrtel bit right?

I prefer Agger and we have Sami as backup.

Skrtel for me isn't as effective at the back, he isn't a monster this year like was last year. Since his City injury he hasn't been the loveable, intimidating, scary center back we know
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #39: Mar 01, 2009 10:22:15 pm
      need a top class RB
      need a top class RW
      need a top cover for Reina
      need a top target man, either a cover for Torres (someone who will be happy to sit on the bench...OWEN) or a partner for Torres (David Villa)

and we will get Barry for free....

Agree for Owen but not to sit in bench but to partner Torres.Villa can do it too.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #40: Mar 01, 2009 10:28:57 pm
      Players that could leave in the summer:

Agger 11m (he is not signing a new contract...looking for the exit)
      Babel 7m (maybe has the potential but has been given enough time, maybe agree to have a clause on his transfer, for liverpool to have 1st option to buy him again in the future when he decides to show his talent)
      Dossena 5m (although this lad is italys 1st choice left back, but italians do take time to settle in the PL... now that we have Insua, we need to get rid of this one)
      Arbeloa 6m (reports in spain suggest A.Madrid will make the switch in the summer for £6m)
      Degan 1m (just get rid of him, cant blame him for being injured)
      Voronin 3m (no point sending him out on loan again)

Send Ngog on loan and Lucas should be kept for 1 more season....

If we make them sales  we could have 33m + 12m Keane sale = 45m + what ever the budget is...

We need a strong RB & CB & RW & CF

suggestions -

Rafinha (Schalke) RB £6m

Brede Hangeland (Fulham) CB £6m

Frank Ribery (Bayern Munich) RW £15m

Sergio Aguero (A. Madrid) CF £18m

That is £45m, on what we can make if we sell the players in the list above... We badly need to cover these 4 spots

I dont think we will see David Villa in a Liverpool shirt....I cant see us risking anothr big money move for someone who is 27+ although he can be a instant hit, rather we sign Aguero who is 20.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #41: Mar 01, 2009 10:31:25 pm
      How about a top class scout?
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #42: Mar 01, 2009 10:32:31 pm
      Agree for Owen but not to sit in bench but to partner Torres.Villa can do it too.

yeah if we can play 4-4-2 then we should sign some big name...

if we are to plsy with 4-2-3-1 then a player like Owen who is 29 and an injury prone could settle to play 2nd fiddle behind torres
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #43: Mar 01, 2009 10:35:54 pm

There is no doubt we have some good scouts at the clubs.

Back to the question of the thread...

"Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge "

CEO & Ownership........FACT!

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #44: Mar 01, 2009 11:39:49 pm
      If I was the manager I would stick with the 4-2-3-1 system and based on that I would buy two new attacking mids who can play in those wide position. The line of three which is to support Torres /Kuyt isn't consistent enough to break down the deep laying defender, isn't fast enough enough to make hit the bi-line and isn't providing enough quality service. I think you get players there that have great attacking qualities you would see the difference and you would see a lot more space open for Gerrard/Torres to work with when the you have a great threat of wide attacking player.

After that I would look into other positions like left back, central defender or another striker (depending on cash flow)
      gilly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #45: Mar 02, 2009 08:27:29 am
      We definately do need strengthening,but we need the money to do it

Quick Reply