Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (1.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.9%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (0.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (17.1%)
      Paul Konchesky
      (0.9%)
      Joe Cole
      (6.3%)
      Raul Meireles
      (6.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (46.8%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (9.9%)
      David Ngog
      (1.8%)
      Daniel Agger
      (5.4%)

Liverpool 2:2 Sunderland: In Game & Post match protest.

Read 72848 times
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Sunderland: In Game & Post match protest.
      Reply #828: Sep 25, 2010 11:26:40 pm
      any reason why Gerard did'nt celebrate with torres??
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #829: Sep 25, 2010 11:30:23 pm

think its cuz torres just wanted to get the ball back and get on with it, try and press for the winner.
      gerrard wanted to celebrate equalising. against sunderland. at anfield!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #830: Sep 25, 2010 11:32:11 pm
      noticed how it was Carra who was pleading our cas for the first goal and Stevie was nowhere to be seen.

:lmao: :lmao:

I wish Carra would leave me alone  :laugh:
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #831: Sep 25, 2010 11:39:54 pm
      :lmao: :lmao:

I wish Carra would leave me alone  :laugh:
        :laugh: Sorry MsG

Noticed how Carra was pleading our case ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #832: Sep 25, 2010 11:44:26 pm
        :laugh: Sorry MsG

Noticed how Carra was pleading our case ;)

Ha ha...no worries mate  :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #833: Sep 25, 2010 11:50:50 pm
      Where the fook is everyone else?

They're all either on their way to the train station/airport or into town to get pissed. Not having a go at anyone by that, just saying the majority of people who go to Anfield these days don't give a F**k. But funnily enough, the people who did stay behind think they're doing their bit for the cause. And in a way, they are. But tomorrow that protest will just be a few paragraphs in the sunday papers and then it'll be in the bin Monday morning.

It's been time for proper action for a long time now! Banners and songs aren't going to do anything.

Was thinking that myself mate. Very strange Gerrard running straight past his assister and to see Torres running back with a blank expression and not celebrating. Hmmm.

As for the game itself. I've only seen the highlights on Match Of The Day. Not enough to examine individual performances. What the highlights told me though is that we only really started resembling a team at home in the latter stages of the second half. Not good enough.

Have to say though, it's been pretty obvious of certain debate circling around Johnson today. If I had seen the game, I'd probably agree about him being sh*t. Because I think this season Johnson has been 10% the player he was last season - and last season he wasn't brilliant. But ultimately, it didn't sound like anyone was covering themselves in glory for us today.

I think in very hard times like these, you should look to commend players rather than condemn.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #834: Sep 26, 2010 12:00:05 am
      My favourite quote on Hodgson,He's a donut(sweet on the outside but f*ck all in the middle).
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #835: Sep 26, 2010 12:01:44 am
      Its never a good sign when we are featured on football first at 8.30pm.(did'nt know the score at this point).Usually means we've been turned over.

NO!!But it was just as bad imo.

I have honestly never ever thought of us as a mid-table team...Till now.No words can describe feelings felt during MOST of that game.
      Our "proper" team really let themselves and us down big time.
      OMG I cannot believe I stood in Poulsens corner and tried to defend him recently.My hands up, he was so bad that words just cannot be found to describe his performance.The reserves would be hard pushed to want him playing for them me thinks.
      Though Skyrtel,Cole and Stevie done "just ok" so over to you Boss.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #836: Sep 26, 2010 12:02:03 am
      They're all either on their way to the train station/airport or into town to get pissed. Not having a go at anyone by that, just saying the majority of people who go to Anfield these days don't give a F**k. But funnily enough, the people who did stay behind think they're doing their bit for the cause. And in a way, they are. But tomorrow that protest will just be a few paragraphs in the sunday papers and then it'll be in the bin Monday morning.

And while they're doing their bit inside the ground, they're still lining the pockets of the greedy b***ard yanks. Sort of defeats the object in my eyes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #837: Sep 26, 2010 12:14:32 am
      Calmed down enough, not going to say anything though, I'll just get angry again.  So many things at the club can be summed up by the phrase "Not good enough".
      Morritsey
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #838: Sep 26, 2010 12:29:25 am
      Roy still has his small club mentality when going into press conferences, and post match interviews. Needs to realise what club he's at and what sort of ambitions the fans expect from their team and manager. He acted like today was a good result.

It sure as hell was not :(
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #839: Sep 26, 2010 03:08:22 am
      liverpool fc vs sunderland protest

Not sure at what time this was recorded, but sadly doesnt look like many FANS stayed for the protest, probably to busy in the club shop buying half/half scarves from their day trip!
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2010 03:34:51 am by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #840: Sep 26, 2010 03:39:51 am
      liverpool fc vs sunderland protest

Not sure at what time this was recorded, but sadly doesnt look like many FANS stayed for the protest, probably to busy in the club shop buying half/half scarves from their day trip!

Well the clock says 16:59 and there was 6 minutes of injury time after the 90 minutes. So it's only a matter of minutes after the final whistle.

VERY POOR.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #841: Sep 26, 2010 04:21:23 am
      when has he ever looked good going forward for us? :(
      You must be a really busy man. I only come to that conclusion as it is the only way to justify this comment. You simply don't get the chance to watch too many Liverpool games. Johnson is class. End of. He may not be the worlds greatest defender, but he certainly understands what is meant by going forward, and that is a rare breed in these heady days of the stodgy 'containment' footballing mentality that our Roy has got us playing with.
      He is so good at going forward, I personally wonder why he hasn't been turned into an out and out winger.
      He wasn't the worst player on the pitch yesterday and our team as a whole has so many things wrong with it at the moment that putting everything on Johnson's doorstep is comical.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #842: Sep 26, 2010 04:24:31 am
      It's simply just not good enough.

Ten of our players that started were rested in midweek while Sunderland had most of them playing. We were at home and other than that weird first goal, we failed to create enough chances to score in the first half and it's no coincidence that the team starting playing better attacking football when Poulsen was brought off and that's just too late and after being 2-1 down.

When will Roy ever learn?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #843: Sep 26, 2010 05:37:50 am
      Why is everyone saying Johnson was at fault for Sunderland's second?  Please go back to your coaching manuals, read about how man-marking works then come back and talk.  Carragher was at fault.

On topic: It was a poor team performance, not really worth singling out anyone for playing badly or worse than usual as they were all relative to the team's performance.  Gerrard and Skrtel were some of the better performers and just when I was seeing aspects of promising things, I also see a lot of other things taking a turn for the worse.  Long season ahead, buckle up Reds.
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2010 05:58:45 am by vitez »
      plz-be-top4
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #844: Sep 26, 2010 06:45:00 am
      I think we played like a Big 4 club after the 80 minute mark

and the thing I hate the most is that Torres wasn't supplied the ball enough and most of the time I saw him stuck to the right wing.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #845: Sep 26, 2010 07:46:11 am
      not good enough - yet again!
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #846: Sep 26, 2010 08:38:50 am
      Dissapointed with the performance and result. It took till late 2nd half before the team started playing some positive attacking football...why so late??

I believe that for all our home games, we should be playing RM and SG in midfield with Cole behind Torres...the wide positions must be filled with people who can cross the ball and link up play effectively.
      GJ / Kuyt should play right midfield and Jovanovic / Maxi on the left.
      Ngog / Pacheco our attacking subs and Lucas / Skrtel our defensive options.

All i know is a BIG improvement in tactics and attitude is required to challenge for the top half of the league.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #847: Sep 26, 2010 09:00:11 am
      Went to the game yesterday, thought we were dreadfull again.

No width, nothing creative from the midfield and defenders just hoofing the ball forward all the time. 2nd half we improved slightly but major concerns about how the team is sent out and tactics.

Nando looks way off the pace (and noticed when Stevie scored that header he ran straight past him even though he put the cross in) Joe Cole started on the left and kept coming inside looking to create something but it left us so narrow on times it was embarrassing. Johnson was poor defensively and didn't do much better going forward and Poulsen is just a waste of a shirt.

6 points from 6 games is nowhere near good enough, yes theres a lot of new players that have come in but we have more or less a fully fit squad now and improvements must be quick otherwise we will be out on contention for top 4 before Christmas!!

Stayed behind for the protests. I was in 305 in the Kop and there were a maybe a couple of hundred in that area, a few stayed in the Annie Road and Centenary but disappointing turnout overall. The players came out for the warmdown and Stevie and Carra both clapped us (bet they wish they could have climbed the barriers and joined us on the Kop  ;) )
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #848: Sep 26, 2010 09:37:24 am
      You must be a really busy man. I only come to that conclusion as it is the only way to justify this comment. You simply don't get the chance to watch too many Liverpool games. Johnson is class. End of. He may not be the worlds greatest defender, but he certainly understands what is meant by going forward, and that is a rare breed in these heady days of the stodgy 'containment' footballing mentality that our Roy has got us playing with.
      He is so good at going forward, I personally wonder why he hasn't been turned into an out and out winger.
      He wasn't the worst player on the pitch yesterday and our team as a whole has so many things wrong with it at the moment that putting everything on Johnson's doorstep is comical.

Therefore Johnson would be better on the wing, and not at RB. In which case, we could then have Kuyt up front partnering Torres, with Gerrard and Miereles controlling middle of the park, and Carra at RB, with Skrtel and Agger at CB...
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #849: Sep 26, 2010 10:08:01 am
      Therefore Johnson would be better on the wing, and not at RB. In which case, we could then have Kuyt up front partnering Torres, with Gerrard and Miereles controlling middle of the park, and Carra at RB, with Skrtel and Agger at CB...
      Exactly!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #850: Sep 26, 2010 12:05:07 pm

Sunderland's Steve Bruce labels Liverpool goal a 'joke'
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9033589.stm
      Sunderland boss Steve Bruce labelled referee Stuart Attwell's decision to award Dirk Kuyt's opening goal in their 2-2 draw with Liverpool as a "joke".

Michael Turner was ruled to have taken a free-kick on which Fernando Torres pounced, and passed for Kuyt to score.

Turner claimed he passed the ball back for the keeper to take the re-start.

"The first goal is a joke. The only person who knew it wasn't intentionally taken was possibly the referee," Bruce told BBC Sport.

"However I watched him and he went to his whistle three or four times, he even looked for the linesman. Everybody in the ground knew Turner was kicking it back to where the free-kick should have been taken from.
      "But to respond the way we did I couldn't be more pleased."

However, an organisation which represents referees says it has reviewed the goal and believes the correct decisions were made.

A statement from the Professional Game Match Officials said: "According to the Laws of the Game, having stopped the game for any infringement the referee is required to 'indicate the restart of the match'.

"In practice, in the majority of cases, referees indicate for the re-start by gesturing to players to take the kick. These gestures can be minimal.

"For the more important 'ceremonial' free-kicks, which also involve control of the defensive wall, referees can indicate by using the whistle. However, there is no requirement by law to use the whistle to make the indication.

"The ball is then in play when it is kicked and moves. So, in this case, the ball was in play as soon as it is kicked by a Sunderland player.

"Also, the laws state that the free-kick must be taken from the place where the infringement occurred. Again, in this case, the referee correctly determined that the free-kick was played from the right place."

Bruce, though, insisted his side had been treated unfairly.

"It was unjust, unfair and wrong. The referee should pull it back and let play start again," he said.

"Liverpool have got away with one. For him to miss something like that, I'm sorry but he shouldn't be doing that at this level.

"We'll talk about refereeing decisions until I'm blue in the face. What it'll never hide is the performance of the team after that.

"I thought we were absolutely fantastic and it's unjust we haven't gone away with the three points."

Following the controversial goal, Christian Poulsen's handball allowed Darren Bent to equalise from the spot for Sunderland and the striker put the Black Cats in front with a header before Steven Gerrard nodded in for the home side to earn a point.

Bruce also felt Liverpool skipper Gerrard was fortunate not to be sent off, suggesting the midfielder led with his arm on a challenge on Danny Welbeck.
      "I'm the biggest admirer of Gerrard but he has gotten away with one," said the Black Cats boss. "If that was [Sunderland midfielder] Lee Cattermole I guarantee that would have been red card."

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson believed Attwell made the right decision to award Kuyt's goal, but was wrong in giving what he called a "compensatory" penalty against his side for Poulsen's offence.

He also suggested an early Torres effort was wrongly ruled out for offside.

"It wasn't the result we wanted but in many ways it was the performance we wanted," he said after changing all 11 players from the midweek Carling Cup loss to League Two Northampton.

"We had a very bright start and we could have been 2-0 up because I think Torres' first goal which was disallowed for offside was incorrectly ruled out, but we lost our way.

"But I thought the penalty they got was fairly compensatory because I don't prescribe to accidental handball, for me handball has to be intentional.

"We suffered the cold shower of going 2-1 down in the second half and after that I thought the reaction was really good.

"We dominated the game after that and created lots of chances but only scored from one of them.

"I think over the 90 minutes we were more than worth the point we got."

F**k off Fat Head. Our goal was with in the law, as for the Beach Ball goal that gave you 3 pts, it was NOT.

Quick Reply