Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Pundits and Commentators

Read 449027 times
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Re: Pundits and Commentators
      Reply #782: Feb 21, 2016 11:14:35 pm
      Done
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #783: Feb 21, 2016 11:28:53 pm
      Former Liverpool FC defender Mark Lawrenson insists he did not deliberately pose with The S** newspaper for the BBC and says he wouldn't have gone near a copy if he'd have known.

While filming for Football Focus, Lawrenson was photographed holding a copy of Saturday's edition of the paper, reviled on Merseyside because of its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, and the picture was published by Match of the Day's Twitter account – although the tweet now appears to have been deleted.

The front page headline of The S** carried the headline 'Deal... or no deal?' referring to the political situation with Prime Minister David Cameron and the EU but it is understood that the BBC were trying to make a joke over whether the headline might have been mistaken for a story about Manchester United possibly appointing Jose Mourinho as their next manager.

Lawrenson, 58, who played for Liverpool between 1981-88, and still lives on Merseyside maintains that he is well aware of the sensitivities of being associated with The S** newspaper following the publication's reporting of Hillsborough and says he would never knowingly have picked up a copy to make light of the situation.

He told the ECHO: “I didn't even realise it was The S**. They wanted to show the back page because it related to Jose [Mourinho] and I got given the paper as soon as Dan [Walker] was asking me a question.

“If I'd have known it was The S** I wouldn't have done it. I held it up to show the headline and it was too late to take it down.

“I would not knowingly pose with a copy of The S**. There was just me and Jermaine Jenas there and they handed it to me to show me the headline on the back and the front.

“There was no way I knew it was The S** until it was too late, else I wouldn't have gone near it.”

From The Echo.

At the very least this sounds believable to me if I'm being honest, or at least something that could of happened. Still though, not good at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #784: Feb 22, 2016 01:34:04 am
      Former Liverpool FC defender Mark Lawrenson insists he did not deliberately pose with The S** newspaper for the BBC and says he wouldn't have gone near a copy if he'd have known.

While filming for Football Focus, Lawrenson was photographed holding a copy of Saturday's edition of the paper, reviled on Merseyside because of its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, and the picture was published by Match of the Day's Twitter account – although the tweet now appears to have been deleted.

The front page headline of The S** carried the headline 'Deal... or no deal?' referring to the political situation with Prime Minister David Cameron and the EU but it is understood that the BBC were trying to make a joke over whether the headline might have been mistaken for a story about Manchester United possibly appointing Jose Mourinho as their next manager.

Lawrenson, 58, who played for Liverpool between 1981-88, and still lives on Merseyside maintains that he is well aware of the sensitivities of being associated with The S** newspaper following the publication's reporting of Hillsborough and says he would never knowingly have picked up a copy to make light of the situation.

He told the ECHO: “I didn't even realise it was The S**. They wanted to show the back page because it related to Jose [Mourinho] and I got given the paper as soon as Dan [Walker] was asking me a question.

“If I'd have known it was The S** I wouldn't have done it. I held it up to show the headline and it was too late to take it down.

“I would not knowingly pose with a copy of The S**. There was just me and Jermaine Jenas there and they handed it to me to show me the headline on the back and the front.

“There was no way I knew it was The S** until it was too late, else I wouldn't have gone near it.”

From The Echo.

At the very least this sounds believable to me if I'm being honest, or at least something that could of happened. Still though, not good at all.

"Can we get on with the game now" words that dickhead uttered on commentary during the six minute truth protest at Anfield in 2006 during FA cup tie V Arsenal live on BBC.

Yeah entirely believable!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #785: Feb 22, 2016 01:59:54 am
      "Can we get on with the game now" words that dickhead uttered on commentary during the six minute truth protest at Anfield in 2006 during FA cup tie V Arsenal live on BBC.

Of course! How could I forget? His childish nature can go from being just pure plain sad to offensive in the context of things. And of course there was this from the World Cup in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCQLVILuH4

I've never heard a grown adult sound as childish as this! Guy Mowbray should have given him an education in the contours of his knuckles.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #786: Feb 22, 2016 05:04:24 am

From The Echo.

He's full of sh*t! The paper was resting in his knees, it wasn't just handed to him, and how could he know what was written on the front and back without noticing the logo on the paper?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #787: Feb 22, 2016 06:43:52 am
      Signed that petition, the guy is a joke of a man and I wouldn't believe a word he says. We've had to endure his seedy "humour" and sniping for years. It has been an ordeal I'll tell you that. The Sun? WTF, if I posed for a photo I would look at what I'm holding, not just me but everyone here so he's even more full of sh*t than I thought, believe me I thought he was 100% full of sh*t already.
      Thanks for making me aware of this. info is knowledge n all that yo.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #788: Feb 22, 2016 07:43:08 am
      Complete w**ker who needs to be fu**ed off from working on LFC TV.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #789: Feb 22, 2016 07:47:19 am

I'd erased that from my memory! Maybe he just doesn't care then...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #790: Feb 22, 2016 08:15:44 am
      He's full of sh*t! The paper was resting in his knees, it wasn't just handed to him, and how could he know what was written on the front and back without noticing the logo on the paper?

Bang on!
      Sometime today grab a paper hand it to someone and ask to hold it up, I bet they look at it before they do,....

Lawro full of sh*t just like the rag he held up...their perfectly suited!!

And a even bigger kunt for trying to get out of it by fooling us,!!

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #791: Feb 22, 2016 03:38:33 pm
      What are the odds the c**t tries to get his name down to make some sort of speech for the Memorial Service this year? It's the last one, so everybody will be crawling out the woodwork to look like they care (like they did for the 20th Anniversary) when every other year they're never there.

Make some "heartfelt" apology about his "mistake", throw a few crocodile tears in there and we're all meant to welcome him back into our hearts.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #792: Feb 22, 2016 03:42:37 pm
      I think he has been on dodgy ground for sometime and I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #793: Feb 22, 2016 04:46:49 pm
      I think he has been on dodgy ground for sometime and I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Agreed Walt, happily signed that petition.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #794: Feb 23, 2016 06:53:26 am
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #795: Feb 23, 2016 12:37:18 pm
      A complete overreaction this . Now " Lawro " is not everyones cup of tea but , a mistake  , apologise's , let 's just leave it there.
      Kopite78
      Reply #796: Feb 23, 2016 01:06:30 pm
      Another instance of either you
      A) Don't get it, or
      B) Blatant antagonism to get a reaction

What are you doing here?

*Hands up.... Waving... Waving.. Pick me, pick me sir..

B sir... It's B

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #797: Feb 23, 2016 01:18:21 pm
      A complete overreaction this . Now " Lawro " is not everyones cup of tea but , a mistake  , apologise's , let 's just leave it there.

Oh do F**k off, I bet you accepted Souness' bullshit that he wasn't in the country so didn't know the depth of feeling towards the scum in 92!!

It's the F***ing sun and that sheep-shagging dickhead from Preston should of known better.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #798: Feb 23, 2016 01:32:41 pm
      Oh do f**k off, I bet you accepted Souness' bullshit that he wasn't in the country so didn't know the depth of feeling towards the scum in 92!!

It's the f**king sun and that sheep-shagging dickhead from Preston should of known better.

To be honest I forgive Souey. Watched him talk about that incident a couple of years ago and I totally believed that he was gutted and sorry about the whole thing. Looked genuinely remorseful and admitted he fu**ed up massively.

Lawro, though? I didn't know it was The Sun? F**k off, blatantly lying and in suit with the arrogant c**t that he comes across as on the telly.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #799: Feb 23, 2016 02:29:38 pm
      Another instance of either you
      A) Don't get it, or
      B) Blatant antagonism to get a reaction

What are you doing here?
      Yeah, thats right . I don't get it.  I don't get it that after being with my mate on the morning of the15th April and then finding out he was dead later that night , and initially being told that both my cousins had  died as well only to receive a phone call later from them , as the family was going into meltdown .
      Then to see that sh*te written on the 17th  , which received an appropriate reaction, yeah i don't get it. I don't know what age you are, whether you where there , lost anyone close to you or have just read about it. But to compare what that rag said about us with an ex player, who works in the media , holding a newspaper up , without you fully knowing the context  of the incident , is an overreaction.
      You want to ban him for holding a newspaper in the air? Never made a mistake in your life?  Nothing like a good witch hunt is there?  He should have known better but he's apologized .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #800: Feb 23, 2016 06:20:55 pm

Find me the apology then 'cos I sure as hell haven't seen or heard one from him.

An explanation as to how he came to be holding it on national tv yes but definitely no apology.

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #801: Feb 23, 2016 06:41:05 pm
      That petition is absolutely ridiculous, by the way. Doesn't matter if he knew he was holding the paper or wasn't, he shouldn't be banned from Anfield.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #802: Feb 23, 2016 06:45:36 pm
      That petition is absolutely ridiculous, by the way. Doesn't matter if he knew he was holding the paper or wasn't, he shouldn't be banned from Anfield.

Explain why please?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #803: Feb 23, 2016 06:56:25 pm

I don't think the club should be able to dictate what supporters read. Ban the paper from Anfield/Melwood, ban the journalists from the press box/press conferences, don't allow players/staff/the manager to give exclusive interviews and things like that with them? Absolutely. Do all of these things.

Based on the video, I think Lawrenson absolutely knew it was the rag, by the way. He shouldn't appear on LFC TV again and he should be cut off from the club and treated like a normal supporter (which is a shame because he was a great player and a legend).
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #804: Feb 23, 2016 07:06:35 pm
      I don't think the club should be able to dictate what supporters read. Ban the paper from Anfield/Melwood, ban the journalists from the press box/press conferences, don't allow players/staff/the manager to give exclusive interviews and things like that with them? Absolutely. Do all of these things.

Based on the video, I think Lawrenson absolutely knew it was the rag, by the way. He shouldn't appear on LFC TV again and he should be cut off from the club and treated like a normal supporter (which is a shame because he was a great player and a legend).

I see where you're coming from and kind of agree. The response to everything these days is to 'ban them!'. How about we ignore him for the rest of his career? How about allowing him to walk into Anfield at whatever game he attends next and see the response of supporters towards him then? Surely that will have a greater effect on him?

Quick Reply