Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool 0-2 Spurs in game and post match annoyance

Read 47944 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,374 posts | 4974 
      Re: Liverpool -v- Spurs in game and post match annoyance
      Reply #552: May 15, 2011 06:07:34 pm
      It's great to play in Europe but if we cannot make it, so what? Why do some of you have to make me depressed? Are you Mancs in disguise because you want me to be depressed of our achievement?

If we don't make it fair enough but it pisses me off when people on this site say they don't want to qualify for Europe.

This club has a proud history of competing and winning in Europe and as far as I'm concerned it will always be a negative if we don't qualify.

Also I don't buy all this concentrate on the league bulls*it as if Manchester United can win the league and get to a European final in the one season then we should be looking to do the same.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #553: May 15, 2011 06:07:45 pm
      I think you call it a reality check.

Disappointed in Carroll, thought he was virtually non existent, but to be fair, he's not fully fit. I think the harsh reality is that we've been punching above our weight the last few games. There's been improvement for sure, but we still have a long way to go. I said before the game that this match would be a good indicator of where we are in the league. It looks like 6th. I know there was a fluky goal and a dubious penalty, but still, this was at home and we lost 0-2. We were bossed in midfield, again.

There's a lot of hard work to be done before we can even think to challenge for top spot.

I'm sure KK knows what to do.

Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #554: May 15, 2011 06:07:50 pm
      Well brought down back to earth, Its just one of those games I guess.....Spurs werent that dominate a great goal off a deflection, and Howard Webb being his usual dick self put them up 2-0.....loss shows you how much this team relies on Suarez, he prolly had his worse game in a Liverpool jersey and we looked poor as a team because of it
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #555: May 15, 2011 06:07:52 pm

Just wish we could have given KK the result he deserved in front of the owners !

[/quote]

Or maybe they now realise the size of the rebuilding job ahead.?
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #556: May 15, 2011 06:08:37 pm
      Yes he got injured against Fulham.

It's starting to worry me slightly about where Carroll fits into the first team.

It has worked in some games with them both playing, I think for some reason, Carra gets it into his head to play the long ball - although I didn't think he was so guilty of that today.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #557: May 15, 2011 06:11:46 pm
      I think we need to take a deep breath and also realise where we were in terms of league position and performances at the turn of the year.  Of course we're not the finished article, and we will still have off days, today being one of them - dodgy refs don't help, but we will be stronger next year.  We go into the first summer in years feeling positive with no disruption at the club and owners that want to win rather than pay off debts and drink champers with the glazers twice a season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #558: May 15, 2011 06:11:48 pm
      Unlucky result today,dont think we set up right at the front but whats happened has happened and we move on,was not long ago some were happy for leauge survival after our disasterous start under the wings of the OWl,kenny has done fantastic since he arrived in jan and thankfull for the strong finish we have had towards the end of the season,one game to go and lets see how that pans out before we write off anyone.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #559: May 15, 2011 06:12:08 pm
      We fu**ed up and threw away our chance of finishing 5th, Gutted.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #560: May 15, 2011 06:13:23 pm
      Thinking about it, maybe Carroll coming back in actually disrupted the flow of things a bit?  Who knows?

Yeah, I've said a similar thing a couple of times in this thread. Would of preferred Shelvey to start instead of Carroll... but c'est la vie, can't change it now like.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #561: May 15, 2011 06:14:41 pm
      I feel that Dalglish still hasn't found the best way to get the most out of Carroll.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #562: May 15, 2011 06:14:56 pm
      We fu**ed up and threw away our chance of finishing 5th, Gutted.

We can still finish 5th if spuds don't beat Birmingham, who really need a win.  5th is not over yet.

And preferably we beat Villa.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #563: May 15, 2011 06:15:44 pm
      It has worked in some games with them both playing, I think for some reason, Carra gets it into his head to play the long ball - although I didn't think he was so guilty of that today.

Hmmm maybe. Although I'm not sure it's worked as well as when he isn't playing. Looking at the games when he's been out injured we've been in incredible form, could be just coincidence but I feel it changes our style and mentality of play.

It also didn't help that he also didn't really win many headers!!
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #564: May 15, 2011 06:18:14 pm
      I feel that Dalglish still hasn't found the best way to get the most out of Carroll.

I don't think he's fully fit though which obviously doesn't help.
      But don't know who's fault it is but he just wasn't playing where he should be, in fact he was everywhere but- seemed to be playing in midfield and on the wing for a lot of the match.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #565: May 15, 2011 06:18:54 pm
      Whatever happens as regards the Europa let's not forget the absolutely brilliant work Kenny & everyone has done to get us out of the relegation we were destined for.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #566: May 15, 2011 06:19:41 pm

Kenny knows exactly the way to get the best out of Carroll, just as he did Shearer and Sutton, its called wingers and they will be here in the summer.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #567: May 15, 2011 06:20:07 pm
      What are the implications of not playing in Europa?

1. We miss out on some revenue - In any case, this is so less that nobody is going to notice that we missed out on this.
      2. The youngsters getting a run - What did we do before Europa? Carling and the likes. So, let us hope we go a long way in that tournament
      3. Our ranking in Europe - This is a problem. But, we have got such a high European pedigree that missing out on Europe this season should not cause us a big problem.

According to me, we need to concentrate on the next season and to be honest most of us have been doing that for a long time. We should ideally focus on getting quality players in. Do good players consider a club's presence in Europa? The answer is a simple No.

P.S. I am gutted at not finishing 5th. But, where were we half a season ago?
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #568: May 15, 2011 06:21:06 pm

to be fair he hasnt had a run of games with him. we didnt lose because of carroll today. we just didnt pass well enough and spurs did. simple.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #569: May 15, 2011 06:21:20 pm
      Thinking about it, maybe Carroll coming back in actually disrupted the flow of things a bit?  Who knows?

Thinking the same mate.
      Still believe he and the team can find out the best, it's just a matter of time, hopefully.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #570: May 15, 2011 06:23:39 pm
      Kenny knows exactly the way to get the best out of Carroll, just as he did Shearer and Sutton, its called wingers and they will be here in the summer.

Get two wingers just to see Carroll dropping into midfield to drifting over to the wing?

Carroll should be the one who stays in the box but he was hardly ever in there to win the header.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #571: May 15, 2011 06:24:17 pm
      to be fair he hasnt had a run of games with him. we didnt lose because of carroll today. we just didnt pass well enough and spurs did. simple.

I'd agree with that.  It's worked in several games, against Man City for example.  He obviously needs more games to get into the groove as it were.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #572: May 15, 2011 06:24:57 pm
      MISSED RAUL..

REF WAS A KUNT...

THAT'S IT...
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #573: May 15, 2011 06:26:40 pm
      Might be in the minority but I actually thought Caroll didn't play too bad, certainly not worse than anyone else on the pitch. Didn't win enough headers but thought he held the ball up pretty well when it was fired towards him and he was the only player who had a shot on target for the first 86 minutes.

Just think he was playing in the wrong position, far too deep and outside the box when crosses were coming in. Also taking in to account he wasn't fully fit. Not our best team performance as a whole.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #574: May 15, 2011 06:27:25 pm
      Get two wingers just to see Carroll dropping into midfield to drifting over to the wing?

Carroll should be the one who stays in the box but he was hardly ever in there to winthe header.

Maybe because we do not have two wide men who get their heels white an get to the by line and whip a cross in.

Have you thought about that ?

End of the day if you watched enough of Andy Carroll at Newcastle you'd know what his strengths are and they weren't displayed in that match for sure and if you know enough about Kenny and his like for natural wingers in his sides then you can see his reasoning for buying Carroll.

Quick Reply