Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move

Read 21165 times
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move
      Oct 09, 2011 09:20:37 am
      Reina: The Liverpool owners stopped me joining Arsenal for £20m
      Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina nearly quit Anfield three times as the club fell apart under the ownership of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Spaniard has shed new light on the turmoil at Liverpool and claims the club stopped him from joining Arsenal in 2010 because they feared it would send out the wrong signal to potential buyers as the Hicks and Gillett era collapsed under a sea of debt.

Reina, who wanted permission to speak to Arsene Wenger as Arsenal tabled a £20million bid, claims there were splits in the Liverpool dressing room over the Americans and says he wanted local heroes Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher to do more to support fans' protests.
      Reina also campaigned against the appointment of Roy Hodgson to replace Rafa Benitez.

After hitting his 'lowest ebb' under the new man, he considered leaving again in January - only to be talked out of it by his wife.
      On an earlier occasion, Benitez had talked Reina out of joining Valencia.
      The goalkeeper's head was turned by Arsenal when he returned from Spain's World Cup victory celebrations last year to find Liverpool in crisis with Benitez sacked, Hicks and Gillett clinging on to power and the running of the club left to managing director Christian Purslow, who was trying to find new owners.

'I went from elation one minute to depression the next as the realisation dawned that Liverpool were going nowhere fast,' says Reina in his new autobiography.

'When I signed my contract in April 2010 I hoped that better times were just around the corner, a feeling that was fuelled by the promises of improvement from people at the club.

'It didn't take me long to feel that their promises were hollow. I felt betrayed. Our owners were at war with each other, the club's debts were spiralling out of control and a change in manager had failed to dispel the feeling that we were on the road to nowhere.
      'Arsenal had made their determination to sign me clear by offering £20m, a phenomenal amount for a goalkeeper. Part of me felt that I was well within my rights to consider my future even if I did so with a heavy heart.

'When Liverpool received the bid, they rejected it. This was not because I had been told that I was too good a keeper to leave. The reason I was given was quite different - and it left me feeling down. I was told that my continued presence was crucial to the sale of the club. I was simply a bargaining chip in the sales process.

'I still don't know what to think of Purslow because I understand he was there to look for new owners and to try to sell the club but ultimately he was making big football decisions that he was not qualified to make.'

Reina publicly called for Hicks and Gillett to go long before current owner John W Henry took over last October.
      The 29-year-old also admits he would have liked Gerrard and Carragher to have taken a similar stand.

'I was probably one of the loudest objectors because I believed it was important the supporters knew I was with them,' he says.
      'All I wanted the owners to do was sell up to people who could take the club forward, so I said so.
      'The way I saw it, Stevie and Carra are the two principle members of our squad, the ones who the people love and if they had said something maybe it would have put Hicks and Gillett under real pressure.
      'But in their view, it was more important to try to keep things as normal as possible.'
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046871/Pepe-Reina-Liverpool-owners-stopped-joining-Arsenal-20m.html

This explains all those quotes of him saying how you can never say never, and how he might leave as well.

Even though Hicks and Gillett were holding on to him to just make more money themselves, I think it turned out to be one of the best things they did.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Re: Reina
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2011 09:21:36 am
      Sorry I made a mistake with the topic name, somebody please change it.
      LFCexiled
      Re: Reina
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2011 09:26:44 am
      Sorry I made a mistake with the topic name, somebody please change it.

You can change it yourself Joey, use the modify option.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Re: Reina: Hicks and Gillett blocked my Arsenal Move
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2011 09:28:41 am
      You can change it yourself Joey, use the modify option.

Cheers mate.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Oct 09, 2011 09:35:15 am
      Very honest and fair from Pepe. Thank God he's still here. Outstanding keeper

Really shows the s*ite we were in thank God its in the past

We really need a boss song for Pepe
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Oct 09, 2011 09:59:11 am
      His wife surely loves the city, heh?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Oct 09, 2011 10:20:17 am
      Think some of us said exactly the same as Pepe about Carra and Gerrard needing to step up and say something, the splits in the dressing room and Carra's comments of late about English managers adds more fuel to the fire about Carra's and Gerrard's involvement with the Rafa debacle and quite possibly explains Torres's exit to some degree too.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2011 10:31:58 am
      Yeh, but in the end Gerrard, and especially Carra were wrong. Roy was the worst manager we've had in years, regardless of his nationality.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2011 10:32:48 am
      Think some of us said exactly the same as Pepe about Carra and Gerrard needing to step up and say something, the splits in the dressing room and Carra's comments of late about English managers adds more fuel to the fire about Carra's and Gerrard's involvement with the Rafa debacle and quite possibly explains Torres's exit to some degree too.

Agree with this and you have got to admire Reina for speaking out at the time.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #9: Oct 09, 2011 10:51:36 am
      That's what makes Pepe Reina the player and man we love and adore.

He fought for the fans and the club he loved, I thank him for giving us the chance to show him we are going somewhere.

It's a shame that such role models as Carrara and Gerrard don't put the clubs needs 1st.

The Rafa demise and Roy employment does seem to have been influenced by them.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: Oct 09, 2011 11:45:08 am
       Not sure what the "Rafa debacle" was or exactly what people mean by that, but I'm glad Pepe is still at Anfield.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Oct 09, 2011 11:51:29 am
      Not sure what the "Rafa debacle" was or exactly what people mean by that, but I'm glad Pepe is still at Anfield.

I think they mean us finishing 7th, I agree Mick it's great that Pepe stayed no matter what the reasons. 
      LFCexiled
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2011 11:58:29 am
      I think they mean us finishing 7th, I agree Mick it's great that Pepe stayed no matter what the reasons. 

:roll:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #13: Oct 09, 2011 12:05:35 pm

I think Redblood means lack of support from Captain and Vice-Captain for their manager, just like Carragher was massively involved at the start against the Yanks, turning up at two end of season SOS parties and speaking on the stage about getting them removed to the position he claims now, which is evidenced in the Brian Reade book.

And what Pepe says about Gerrard and Carragher is spot on. Would have brought the support more together had either of them spoken out in the press against the two dickheads.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #14: Oct 09, 2011 12:07:41 pm
      Pepe has an excellent character, true to himself and others. Legend
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15: Oct 09, 2011 12:13:10 pm

And what Pepe says about Gerrard and Carragher is spot on. Would have brought the support more together had either of them spoken out in the press against the two dickheads.

Its probably true that it would have helped unite support if Carra and Gerrard, Rafa or Kenny had spoken out. Presumably they each had their own reasons for their silence at the time? As far as I am aware there was only Rafa that spoke out against the protests though ?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Oct 09, 2011 12:21:24 pm
      Not sure what the "Rafa debacle" was or exactly what people mean by that

de·ba·cle: noun - a general breakup or dispersion; sudden downfall or rout.

Maybe 'they' mean the 'debacle' which saw and end to Rafa and the 'rise' of Wotten Woy - all at the hands of Purslow a man Pepe says: "was making big football decisions that he was not qualified to make."

It looks like 'they' have used the word in it's proper context.  ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: Oct 09, 2011 12:21:34 pm

The Rafa debacle was one or two senior players plotting behind the managers back to have a nice English manager installed and one of those players being rewarded with a nice new contract for his efforts just before the new owners got chance to put pen to paper.

Its all by the by now, but we've seen what impact senior players with too much influence having an opinion can have on a club and I hope it is never repeated regardless of who the manager is.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Oct 09, 2011 12:25:55 pm
      What I find a shame is some posters show "Uncle Roy" so much respect when he nearly drove the club into relegation, yet they seek to defame a manager that brought us number 5, strange that.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Oct 09, 2011 12:26:09 pm
      Not sure what the "Rafa debacle" was or exactly what people mean by that

Well, they are probably talking about our captain and vice-captain helping Cecil to sack our best manager over the past 2 decades ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Oct 09, 2011 12:26:49 pm
      The Rafa debacle was one or two senior players plotting behind the managers back to have a nice English manager installed and one of those players being rewarded with a nice new contract for his efforts just before the new owners got chance to put pen to paper.

Its all by the by now, but we've seen what impact senior players with too much influence having an opinion can have on a club and I hope it is never repeated regardless of who the manager is.

Nice theory, but I prefer the fact that we finished 7th as a more meaningful reason.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Oct 09, 2011 12:28:08 pm
      Nice theory, but I prefer the fact that we finished 7th as a more meaningful reason.

Well I don't mate considering after we finished 7th, Martin Broughton and Cecil were both saying Rafa's position was safe.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Oct 09, 2011 12:30:11 pm
      Well I don't mate considering after we finished 7th, Martin Broughton and Cecil were both saying Rafa's position was safe.

Yeah, and no manager ever gets "sacked" after a vote of confidence do they ?

Quick Reply