Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Gerrard injury concerns

Read 9508 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6967 
      Gerrard injury concerns
      Oct 31, 2011 11:29:16 am
      Sure everyone saw the pictures from Gerrard's 'infected ankle'.

Dalglish has hardly been able to call on Steven Gerrard since he took over as manager - with a groin injury then infection and now another mysterious infection in his ankle.

Personally I've never heard of anyone having a cast put on for an infection - especially as it would surely make it more difficult to keep clean etc.

It seems that not so long ago the media said we were a two man team with Gerrard and Torres.  Ironic then that our results have improved so much without either of them in the team.

Most Liverpool fans would almost certainly suggest that Gerrard should be one of the first names on the team sheet. But how long do you build your team and football based on a player who isn't really absent.

Do Liverpool need to start thinking about life without Gerrard as a key member of the team and start playing to the strengths of our other midfielders?  I'd suggest that for Liverpool's sake we do.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Re: Gerrard injury concerns
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2011 11:34:25 am
      If it was an internal infection which has flared up from something like a sprain or fracture and he's had an operation on it, that could be the reason for the cast? I doubt its an external infection from a cut or the likes.

Gutted to be honest.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2011 11:35:00 am
      Never thought I would say it so soon, but I think his time is coming to an end.

He even admitted himself a few weeks ago that he considered packing in after being out for 6 months. He regains fitness and this knocks him back down again, rumors suggesting he could be out for another 2 months? Really doesn't look good, I think Kenny has already started to make preparations for when his time does come to an end with a few of the signings in the Summer.

I no longer think our team is based around Gerrard, for me Suarez is the fulcrum of the team at the moment. Thats not to say a fit Steven Gerrard couldn't walk straight back in to our starting 11, but I think his loss would of been felt much harsher 2/3 years ago than it is today.

Get well soon Stevie.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2011 11:38:35 am
      Certainly why he is not there JD... It's good now that we don't have to rely on him, we have a stronger squad in terms of depth that we have had for years and that can only be a good thing, in the past we would have all shuddered with the thought of no Gerrard for the amount of time we have been without him but now with the likes of Adam, Lucas, spearing, Henderson ( who may get some playing time through the middle as a result of this which could be the silver lining) and even young coady we have options... The other lads need to step up and prove they can do it in there without Stevie because eventually he won't be around anyway.. No one goes on forever... Unfortunately

I had heard a story that he had fluid drained off the ankle as well which could count for the cast? Protect the area for a few  days...

Liverpool as a squad and team will be stronger with a fit Stevie in there but it's not the disaster it once was
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2011 11:41:09 am
      Shocked when I saw that pic.

He himself said some weeks ago that he doubted he would ever return to the game. I found it hard to believe him then, but seeing him now, I realise what JD is saying is correct. It will infact be in the best interest of the club to keep Gerrard as a backup plan when he's fit and not rely on him being our main man.

Hurts me to type this, but I think injuries have got to him. Probably ruined the end to a great, great career.

We might need to think of him more as an option and play to strengths of other midfielders, promote our young midfielders or maybe even get a new player in for short term sake whose playing style is similar to that of StevieG.

This sums it up for me really.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2011 11:41:49 am
      Oh dear.

I guess the wear and strain is now taking effect. Internal infection, again!  May be the groin infection did not really clear up, or possible a knock from a dirty boot. Either way lets hope after this set back Stevie comes back even stronger.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2011 11:44:11 am
      Tbh, I'm not worried but am gutted.

We may have lost our best player, but we've been playing without him for months now. We've got Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Lucas who are capable. Even if Gerrard is going to be out for the long term, we've got Jonjo coming back soon. It's great to have squad depth, unlike previous seasons.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2011 11:44:38 am
      I feel sorry for Stevie. With all that's happening at the club, we could see a nice flourish to his career, it seems like we'll have to look for a replacement in January or the summer to have a dynamic core to our team.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2011 11:50:26 am
      Just text my mate who got a serious ankle infection a few years back after spraining it. He nearly lost his foot as it was particularly aggressive tissue eating infection. He also wore a cast after it.

He had to stop riding his bike professionally after that, let's hope Stevie can still ride his bike (and play football).
      sonicgeeza
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      • Our History Is Untouchable
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2011 12:09:01 pm
      Judging by his hand he's had an IV of antibiotics, and Kenny said something about an abscess. Incredible the wear and tear the modern game can have on a top player.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2011 12:18:06 pm
      also gutted, for him more than anything. we're not so dependent on him anymore, but we would be a better team with him leading us out, and from a non-footballing perspective it's upsetting that he's not able to share in our revival under kenny so far.

hope it is a temporary blip, but it doesn't look good does it? a decade of giving it everything for every minute of every match might be finally taking it's toll. afterall, at 31 he's not past it, but it's not the age it's the milage. still really hope he gets better, but gutted.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2011 12:25:16 pm
      Where I fear most for Gerrard at the moment is FSG's modus operandi when approaching transfers, what was it Commolli said, they look at all aspects including a players injury record as a player is not going to be much use to the team if he's sat on the treatment table or words to that effect. Now If Gerrard is out for two months, that will have the clubs highest earner having barely featured over the first year of FSG's ownership and it certainly gives food for thought on how they will approach the issue.

As for talking about life Gerrard, it would seem Jordan Henderson has been bought with that in mind.

Best of luck to Gerrard though and I hope he comes through this and its seen as just a minor setback in his recovery and we get another 2-3 good seasons out of him.

Liverpool has struggled with injuries this season, a trend that Comolli is hoping to reverse by statistically accounting for them in transfer policy.

"We are going in the direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play," he explained.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/statistics-guiding-damien-comolli-liverpools-transfer-strategy-supporting-interest-in-midfielder-bla.html
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2011 12:39:33 pm
      I said it before the season started, and I'll say it again...

Gerrard is no longer an automatic first choice.

When he is fit, he is one of the best in the world.... but this is his 2nd infection this year, on basic cuts...

we need to test this problem and see what the score with it is.

Lucas, Adam, Henderson and Spearing will fill the void for now.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2011 12:48:48 pm
      I think, like it was reported for Torres, he suffered a lot due to our risky medical policy under H&G (= being given injections and playing as much possible when he should have been rested more often, knowing he's always been fragile). All comes back to this time, when owners were probably asking the medics for temporary measures as they considered we couldn't afford to play without half of our "two men team".

Not really a surprise, if after all the experimental science to keep him playing in the three last years, he's now suffering injury after injury.

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2011 12:55:57 pm
      Just think he is at a tipping point with his injuries. If you look at his age and games played his appearances and performance on the pitch  then it doesnt look good.We will have to learn not to rely on him his stats are gradually slipping fast.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2011 12:56:24 pm
      Don't forget Stevie had his injury problems at the begining of his career as well which were put down to " growing into his body" I'm not saying the two are related but maybe the intense career he has had is catching up with him...

More for him personally than him as a player the source of these infections needs to be found..

Good luck Stevie lad can't wait to see you back
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2011 01:04:38 pm
      I don't buy into this "he's finished" lark, but I do believe we have bought his potential replacement already for when he does pack it in. That player is Henderson.
      What a player Gerrard has been for us, arguably our best ever. I'll be gutted when he does retire.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2011 01:12:20 pm
      Really terrible blow both for Stevie and the team. I hoped his return would kick our season into another gear, now looks like it might be Christmas before he returns.  Yes we have coped to an extent without him so far, but who can doubt that if we had had a fully fit and firing Gerrard we would have more points on the board now.

All the best Stevie on a quick recovery and an early return.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2011 01:12:48 pm
      Yeh its early days but a cast on after a cut needing more antibiotics is not a good sign for me.

Firstly hes gotta retire from international football straight away, thought he shuldve done it after the world cup. Hes gotta lenghten his career like scholes by playing less.

Secondly i dont think Jordan is the natural successor to stevie. I think we need to take the raul money and add 25m to it and get an hazard or someone of that nature this summer.

Thirdly he didnt look the same after coming back but to be expected after a 6mth layoff. I dont think we'l get 40 game a season out of him so lets start shaping the team a different way now
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2011 01:36:25 pm
      Hes not young anymore either so yes we need to plan ahead for life without him.

If hes out for a month hopefully that would mean hed be full fit for the run of games in December where is freshness could come in handy. Another potential plus is if the lads cope without him when he comes back he simply becomes another option rather then a necessity in the team.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2011 01:40:14 pm
      Judging by his hand he's had an IV of antibiotics, and Kenny said something about an abscess. Incredible the wear and tear the modern game can have on a top player.

Good spot. For an infection to take hold that quickly (I think KK said he got a knock Thurs/Fri) it must be severe and IV antibiotics would be a must. I would say he will be out for a month at least depending on how quickly it clears up.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2011 01:57:23 pm
      It was to good to read in the press that we have been doing it week in week out for a while now.
      Hendo   // Adams  //  Lucas   all putting in a shift.

Remember when it was a disaster if El Noo-Noo and Stevie werent playing?
      Wasnt that long ago.

Stick Stevie in cotton wool and make sure he's fit for when we lift the title.
      That'll do.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 02:23:25 pm by eurored »
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2011 02:37:46 pm
      Must be incredibly frustrating for the lad. Just as he was starting to come back into the team when he's hit with this. Hopefully, the infection was caught in the early stages and hasn't caused too much damage. Best of luck Stevie!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #23: Oct 31, 2011 02:41:00 pm
      To be honest, I think we are already preparing for life without Steven Gerrard.

In this calender year, he's hardly played a game and this season itself, we've got many midfielders in the squad and they have been doing well enough to win games.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #24: Oct 31, 2011 02:48:38 pm
      Apparently the injury was caused by Charlie Adam who's quite keen on playing first team footy and fell in training then accidentally bit Stevie on the ankle and the wound was infected with all the buckfast in his gob.

While he was on the floor Hendo got his injury confused with a jelly fish sting and pissed on it, that didn't help.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #25: Oct 31, 2011 02:49:15 pm
      Rather then the injury im more concerned how it happened. It seems he has picked up an infection from a minor cut not to long after his groin. He obviously has an underlying condition that is what worries me most and i think we are seeing the beginning of the end of one of our greatest players
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #26: Oct 31, 2011 02:57:59 pm
      Rather then the injury im more concerned how it happened. It seems he has picked up an infection from a minor cut not to long after his groin. He obviously has an underlying condition that is what worries me most and i think we are seeing the beginning of the end of one of our greatest players

I hope your not right with that last statement... Stevie has been brilliant for the club and deserves to go out on his terms... Shame it tends not to happen that way.

Sounds like it happened from a nothing tackle in training as well and he travelled with the squad Friday but it worsened..
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Oct 31, 2011 03:19:03 pm
      F***ing hell Stevie, wash your socks before training and use some neosporin :D .
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2011 03:24:23 pm
      Yeh its early days but a cast on after a cut needing more antibiotics is not a good sign for me.

When he is fit, he is one of the best in the world. . but this is his 2nd infection this year, on basic cuts. 

It seems he has picked up an infection from a minor cut not to long after his groin.

I just want to clear up that infections don't necessarily come from open wounds. Nobody ever said it was from a cut... It's developed under the flesh in his ankle, it caused it to swell up, hence the need for the IV Antibiotics.

onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2011 04:01:38 pm
      Never thought I would say it so soon, but I think his time is coming to an end.

He even admitted himself a few weeks ago that he considered packing in after being out for 6 months. He regains fitness and this knocks him back down again, rumors suggesting he could be out for another 2 months? Really doesn't look good, I think Kenny has already started to make preparations for when his time does come to an end with a few of the signings in the Summer.

I no longer think our team is based around Gerrard, for me Suarez is the fulcrum of the team at the moment. Thats not to say a fit Steven Gerrard couldn't walk straight back in to our starting 11, but I think his loss would of been felt much harsher 2/3 years ago than it is today.

Get well soon Stevie.

Totally agree. Unfortunately I think the end is nigh for our hero. Carra's gone soon too - Time for the new boys to step up: Henderson, Adam and Downing have big boots to fill.

Bellers, Kuyt and Pepe Reina are the senior ever-presents in the team now. Agger and Skrtel should be in there too but  Skrts still struggles and Agger will never play a 40 game season. That's why I'm glad we've got the likes of Lucas and Jose Enrique because we'll need reliability around the emerging talent.

Here's hoping Spearo, Shelvey and the few younger lads coming through at the back find their feet sooner rather than later, that being said the signs are good especially with Martin Kelly we could have a captain there.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #30: Oct 31, 2011 04:43:00 pm
      If it is all these infections, would you not be more concerned of Steven Gerrard the person, and not Steven Gerrard the player?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #31: Oct 31, 2011 04:55:16 pm

We don't know what kind of infection Gerrard has, so no point in speculating. What we do know is, Aquilani has had a severe bacterial infection on his ankle in his last season at AS Roma, and that was the reason he was operated. He is having no problems now, so it is obviously curable, but it takes time.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #32: Oct 31, 2011 05:03:57 pm
      Some very over the top comments about us needing to plan our future without Gerrard and his days coming to an end.

Gutted but Kenny said the most he will be out is a month so people need to stop going over the top. Its unfortunate but probably coincidence that he has been unluckily injured again. The team will survive anyway. Adam has found some form and so has Hendo.

No worries in terms of us dealing with him being out for me.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #33: Oct 31, 2011 05:44:52 pm
      He's 31 hes not old and when he is fit again he will be a shoe in.Get a grip FFs reading these posts is like an obituary.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #34: Oct 31, 2011 05:47:23 pm
      This just sums it up and reveals our unluckiness. Hope he gets well soon and never gets injured again like this. We need him more than any player!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #35: Oct 31, 2011 06:28:55 pm

El Noo-Noo :D

Anyways, as for Stevie - gutted. I, like others, had hoped his return would really kick us into another gear. Looked that way with him knocking in that goal against the mancs, i was sitting there thinking this was just destiny. Guess i was wrong! He's by far my all time favorite red, being my entire life as a Liverpool fan has been with him, so this hurts seeing this sh*t happen again. Got a big poster up on the wall of him celebrating, that's what i wanna see - not the poor fella on crutches.

However, as for the question posed about planning for life without him - i feel we are already on that. Kenny certainly knew it before he even took over the job - he's smart enough to know Stevie was getting on. I feel that's the reason Rafa found Jonjo, as he certainly looks a lad who could have some Gerrard-esque qualities given the right teaching. Same with our midfield buys over the offseason, it was for sure to have the depth that we'd need in a life of Gerrard not being a week in, week out starter.

I just hope that this is just another dose of bad luck and not something more serious :-\

YNWA Stevie.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2011 06:43:20 pm
      The writing has been on the wall for the last 2 years hasn't it ? Stevie is not a 90 minute player every game player anymore ,his body has said enough ! Stevie will heal and i'd like to think he can play selective games where we need his quality , i'd like to think we have midfield covered with our squad and the younger players coming through ,get well soon Stevie ,you still have a job to do !!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #37: Oct 31, 2011 07:01:48 pm
      He has an infection this has nothing to do with his fitness it will not inhibit his fitness in the future once cleared.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #38: Oct 31, 2011 07:08:04 pm
      F***ing hell, some crazy posts in here.

If this was his groin gone again then fair enough but it's not, so I'm not that worried yet. Adam and Henderson are both improving game after game so we'll be fine.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #39: Oct 31, 2011 07:09:31 pm
      He has an infection this has nothing to do with his fitness it will not inhibit his fitness in the future once cleared.
      I agree...at least he won't be playing for England in those two pointless friendlies...
      he'll be back...don't worry
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #40: Oct 31, 2011 07:15:30 pm
      I agree...at least he won't be playing for England in those two pointless friendlies...
      he'll be back...don't worry

Could even be a cover up to not get called up for the England games.... conspiracy!!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #41: Oct 31, 2011 07:21:51 pm
      Could even be a cover up to not get called up for the England games. . conspiracy!!
      Probably mate....the last thing we need is a fit Gerrard getting picked to play in a game that , although would give him match fitness, could easily end up crocked and out goodstyle for months....especially if the game is on that sh*te wembley pitch....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #42: Oct 31, 2011 07:49:17 pm
      Could even be a cover up to not get called up for the England games.... conspiracy!!
      Hope to F**k they're having it, no bollocks tell them any old sh*te.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #43: Oct 31, 2011 08:42:01 pm
      Could even be a cover up to not get called up for the England games. . conspiracy!!

I don't think that has stopped some international managers before, I believe Shane Long is out for 6 weeks with a knee and he still got called up for the Ireland squad. It is a madhouse on the international front, absolutely gutless.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #44: Oct 31, 2011 09:24:46 pm
      I read that the injury Stevie picked up was a kinock in training on Friday. He travelled to the Hawthorns on Sat but was withdrawn due to the infection in his ankle. Isn't that a bit quick for an injury to become infected ? Not sure this isn't something a little more serious than they are letting on. F***ing hope not, with Stevie back, we could step up another level. Just seems a little strange to me although I'm no medic by any stretch of the imagination. The forthcoming  Internationals may for once, be to our advantage.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #45: Oct 31, 2011 09:38:07 pm
      After years of being our soldier.
      The war has taken its toll on you.

Get well soon my hero.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #46: Oct 31, 2011 09:40:02 pm

Get well soon my hero.

Brought a tear to my eye...

Almost poetic
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #47: Oct 31, 2011 11:03:30 pm

Get well soon my hero.
      I'll drink to that. :ernaehrung004:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #48: Oct 31, 2011 11:25:26 pm
      Some shitty luck has our Stevie I really feel sorry for him.

I hope this is nothing serious and will not force his arm in making any career impacting decisions if anybody deserves to lift a title it is him. With another injury scare for Stevie I can't help but wonder the short sightness of DC and KK here in sending out Aquilani on loan. I will not mention Meireles as it was Aquilani's position that was apparently being affected directly by Stevie's imminent return.

These very people who are saying we will be fine without him would be the same ones who would turn the forum upside down had we not got a result at the Hawthornes.

Either way if this is anything long term the timing could not have been worse with Chelsea x 2 and City coming up.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #49: Nov 01, 2011 12:57:05 am
      This can sometimes happen after a lengthy injury. You return with other niggles as the body is not used to continuous football.

Hopefully, he will be back sooner rather than later but it is not the end of the world. Henderson and Adam WILL step up as they did Saturday.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 263 
      Reply #50: Nov 01, 2011 01:17:16 am
      Get well soon captain.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #51: Nov 01, 2011 02:02:22 am
      I didnt want to bring it up on this forum for fear of being burned at the stake...But when I heard he was Injured AGAIN I think for the future of the team that LFC need to really take count and maybe work toward a future without Gerrard.

Some players, no matter how careful they play or how conditioned they are, are just prone to Injuries.  Its something that just haunts players for an entire career. Even if he was Injury free, he is 31 and has 4 productive seasons left?  The bell tolls for every player, and maybe its time for Gerrard. He has missed a load of what should be prime playing years.

I am also wondering if maybe their is some other underlying condition. 2 Injuries resulting in 2 Infections is weird, considering no other players have had issues with Infections.  Sometimes a training facility can have a run of Staph infections due to the facility being used by numerous players, but no other players have an Infection.

Its just weird.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #52: Nov 01, 2011 02:57:06 am
      Feel sorry for our captain. Sure as hell inside he felt that he should be on the pitch running and winning. But this could be something good for our midfielders.
      This is an opportunity for them to show their worth and prove the critics that we're that great even without Gerrard.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #53: Nov 01, 2011 03:35:47 pm
      Steven Gerrard latest
      Steven Gerrard has now undergone treatment to clear out all infection from his right ankle, which has been placed in a protective plaster cast.

The player will not be available for this weekend's game against Swansea City or for the upcoming England friendlies against Spain and Sweden.

Steven will now continue his rehabilitation programme under the guidance of the Club's medical staff.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/steven-gerrard-latest
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #54: Nov 01, 2011 06:42:12 pm
      We cant be greater without Gerrard a fit and healthy Gerrard is a huge bonus to the team.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Nov 02, 2011 02:18:09 am
      My mate (doc) says it will be 3-4 weeks for such infected near bone pro blems if that is actually what he's got.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #56: Nov 02, 2011 04:13:40 am

Firstly hes gotta retire from international football straight away, thought he shuldve done it after the world cup. Hes gotta lenghten his career like scholes by playing less.

Secondly i dont think Jordan is the natural successor to stevie. I think we need to take the raul money and add 25m to it and get an Hazard or someone of that nature this summer.

Thirdly he didnt look the same after coming back but to be expected after a 6mth layoff. I dont think we'l get 40 game a season out of him so lets start shaping the team a different way now

Big shock to see the pictures of Steve in plaster , all the best son keep yer chin up .

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #57: Nov 02, 2011 06:02:24 am
      I can imagine the club have no idea how long he will be out, so they are probably just going to judge him week to week. I am gutted for Stevie, but in all honesty it's probably best he missed the International games. If he does pass fitness tests later on in the month, Should we play him in the tough stretch we have against Chelsea (x2) and then City? I would have him comes back for the home tie against QPR in early December.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #58: Nov 02, 2011 07:51:01 am
      It seems that not so long ago the media said we were a two man team with Gerrard and Torres.  Ironic then that our results have improved so much without either of them in the team.

Most Liverpool fans would almost certainly suggest that Gerrard should be one of the first names on the team sheet. But how long do you build your team and football based on a player who isn't really absent.

Do Liverpool need to start thinking about life without Gerrard as a key member of the team and start playing to the strengths of our other midfielders?  I'd suggest that for Liverpool's sake we do.

Well, a difficult point to raise due to Stevie's already legendary status at the club, and it does seem to some that if you question our captain's future then it is seen as blasphemy.

That said, I'm sure most people's first reaction was one of shock and disappointment, and it is only natural, I feel, to have doubts that Steven can overcome yet another tricky obstacle such as this.

He sounded so confident to have regained full fitness after his groin operation, but another setback, even if not directly related to the previous one, must be crushing for him.

I imagine our disappointment as supporters must be nothing compared to his own, as I'm sure he still harboured hopes of raising more trophies under Kenny's rule, maybe even the league.

Well, it's still early days in the season, and on a positive note, we have a decent depth of quality in the midfield that has the chance to develop now. Plenty of time for Gerrard to recover, but, should the worst come to the worst, also plenty of time for our management to assess the full picture and plan ahead of the January and summer transfer windows.

I'll leave that in their hands, and, as a supporter, just wish Stevie to recover as quickly and as fully as possible.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #59: Nov 02, 2011 12:17:19 pm
      Can't believe the negativity of some posters on here its like Stevie never put a Red jersey on let alone dragged an average team to some fantastic wins.
      He is 31 a very fit healthy lad who takes care of himself and he will be back and fresh for the secondhalf of the season which will be a fantastic boost to the team.The only thing I would like is if he said he was going to retire from England but he will not do that.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #60: Nov 02, 2011 12:33:44 pm
      A Liverpool team is always stronger with a fully fit Steve Gerrard playing in his natural role, for the time being we have a strong enough squad to keep the momentum going in all competitions, while Stevie returns to full fitness.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #61: Nov 02, 2011 02:28:36 pm
      I think people are overreacting to this news.  I do feel gutted for Stevie, as this is another unnecessary setback, but he should only be out for another 2-3 weeks.  He worked very hard to regain match fitness after a 6 month layoff, and he looked damn good against the mancs!!  I have a feeling that this will be a minor setback.  We will get him fit and firing on all cylinders, and he will be like a new signing for us going into the 2nd half of the season!!! 

YNWA Stevie!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6967 
      Reply #62: Nov 02, 2011 02:32:21 pm
      I think people are overreacting to this news

There was a lot of speculation in the summer that he was going to retire.  And then when he came out and admitted he was thinking about it then it put truth to those rumours.

The fact that he has now picked up another injury will understandably concern us - especially given that he has already contemplated retirement once this year.

Hope he recovers quickly and it really is an unrelated blip.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Nov 02, 2011 02:36:57 pm
      I don't think it's an overreaction.

It merely highlights his importance to this team. I think we were all relieved to see him back in the team as he is the greatest player we have had in the modern era.
      Frustration might be a better word. I do hope he recovers and helps us to silverware this season, but at the same time these injuries are starting to play a part in his
      thought process.

We must acknowledge that Stevie and Jamie are now entering the autumn of their careers. Hopefully the go out in glory and not riddled with injuries.
      No doubt Kenny and Comolli will look to strengthen the right areas in January.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #64: Nov 02, 2011 03:26:01 pm
      I really don't know why some posters here,   think that stevie is "finished' because he had a setback with this  ankle infection, he came trough with the more serious(IMO) injury (groin) , If it was the same groin injury again maybe i would have thought about him ready to hang his boots myself, but this is a different part of his body
       I'm sure he will be back fitter  and We all will be delighted again by his return and performances

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #65: Nov 02, 2011 04:33:20 pm
      He didnt consider retirement he thought it maybe forced upon him which is different as his desire to play for LFC has not diminshed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Nov 02, 2011 05:00:01 pm
      Nobody wants to see him or Carra retire.
      Let's not get too wound up here.
      Obviously I want to see him fit and fighting, much in the same way as I want Agger to put a full season in.

What I'm saying is provision needs to be made in the next couple of windows in case that is not what happens.
      I'm sure the club will already be looking at the right targets either way.
      igor zidane
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 13 
      Reply #67: Nov 02, 2011 05:10:09 pm
      I posted this back in july and i still believe it to be true .

Been told today by an ex player who came through my station that he's deffo been bought as gerrards replacement as stevie is fu**ed for the long term . We might get a few games out of him here and there but henderson is his replacement .

I reckon stevie will be treated like ledley king , rest him for the most part but have him fit for the important games. .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Nov 02, 2011 05:17:27 pm
      I posted this back in july and i still believe it to be true .

Been told today by an ex player who came through my station that he's deffo been bought as gerrards replacement as stevie is fu**ed for the long term . We might get a few games out of him here and there but henderson is his replacement .

I reckon stevie will be treated like ledley king , rest him for the most part but have him fit for the important games. .

To be fair to Gerrard they are (apparently) two different injuries, so not to sure how what you heard really applies Igor? Hopefully he will be fit to play against Citeh and Chelsea...... if only off the bench. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #69: Nov 02, 2011 05:27:33 pm
      Injuries are always going to happen and sooner or later all players will hit the sunset of they're careers. Fit or unfit I know one thing for sure, if this happened this time last year we would be fooked. We have depth again and will continue to add quality thru our Academy and transfers. A team cannot rely on 1-2 individuals no matter how great they are, you need a deep bench, good reserves and a strong Academy to maintain consistency over the long haul. We are not quite there yet, but we are getting there, at least adding Hendo and Adam gives the club and Stevie the time to recover properly without hitting the panic button, that alone is a big step up from the last few years.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #70: Nov 02, 2011 06:28:01 pm
      Some of ye belong in the kneejerk thread, Stevie will be here for a few more seasons, just like Manu have Giggs we have Stevie, this is a slight setback FFS get a grip.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #71: Nov 02, 2011 06:37:52 pm
      I agree with lots of the posts and views regarding Stevie Gerrard ,he is a fit bloke, 31 isn't over the hill by any means but ..can anyone hand on heart say Stevie will play a full season again without injury ? i appreciate every player /sportsman gets injured either by being too fit ! or the rigours of the physicality of the sport ,but being a realist i believe we should be looking for a replacement for when he does hang his boots up so we are able to coach someone to adapt to the role ( not that Stevie could be replaced easily ) this isn't a knee jerk reaction it's just an honest opinion .......
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #72: Nov 02, 2011 06:44:40 pm
      I think its a good thing that this happens now,not that there could be a good time for this to happen but.,we have cover for him (unlike the last couple of seasons)  which on the plus side means he can take all the time he needs to get through it, no rushing him back, I know the chahracter of the man means he'll be rushing himself to get back to playing, but there will be no rushing from Kenny. That can only be a bounus for him.

I also wish his bloody luck changes for the better.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #73: Nov 02, 2011 06:54:03 pm
      I agree with lots of the posts and views regarding Stevie Gerrard ,he is a fit bloke, 31 isn't over the hill by any means but ..can anyone hand on heart say Stevie will play a full season again without injury ? i appreciate every player /sportsman gets injured either by being too fit ! or the rigours of the physicality of the sport ,but being a realist i believe we should be looking for a replacement for when he does hang his boots up so we are able to coach someone to adapt to the role ( not that Stevie could be replaced easily ) this isn't a knee jerk reaction it's just an honest opinion . . .
      Fair enough red you"re entitled to your opinion , but i do think that this is a glitch and i think that Stevie needs to concentrate on club football and call it a day on England career, he"s only 31 and fit it"s not too late to lift a PL title or 2.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: Nov 02, 2011 07:14:36 pm
      The guy is 31, not 41. If SG can get fit, he's got a few more seasons in him at the very least. He's one of the few exceptional players that have played for the club in the last decade and even if he has to tailor his game slightly, he can still have a huge impact.
      The concern though is what the hell is wrong with him?! How many groin infections did he have, only for the groin to recover (though he hasn't looked 100% to me since coming back), then to break down again with an 'infection in his foot/ankle'? How is he getting all these infections? And can he shake them?
      Being injured is extreemly frustrating, can only imagine how pissed off he must be (not to mention having to deal with worries and doubts over how his recovery will go, eating away at him). Just hope the current problem is short term and he'll be back making an impact in the 2nd half of the season...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #75: Nov 02, 2011 07:35:27 pm
      Well if nothing else, it's time he sacked off playing for England.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #76: Nov 03, 2011 12:19:32 pm
      Well if nothing else, it's time he sacked off playing for England.
      Fact. Scholes did it and it let him play until he was 36. He wont though.

Gerrard is good enough to go to Brazil 2014 imo.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #77: Nov 03, 2011 12:44:24 pm
      He got a cut on his ankle in training that got infected he hasnt done his ulterior cruciate ligament get a fukin grip he'll probably play one of the Chelsea games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #78: Nov 03, 2011 12:56:00 pm
      Watches Shelvey - Takes a deep breath. We're grand lads. No worries
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #79: Nov 03, 2011 01:34:20 pm
      Pheew

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is hopeful Steven Gerrard will only miss one Premier League game with his latest injury problem.

The midfielder was sidelined for last weekend's win over West Brom after suffering an infection to his ankle.

The problem has ruled Gerrard out of this Saturday's home clash with Swansea as well as England's upcoming friendlies against Spain and Sweden.

It had been feared the injury could sideline Gerrard for up to a month, but Dalglish admits the Reds skipper is responding positively to the treatment and could be back in action after the international break.

"Since they found the infection, Steven has really been progressing extremely well. Everything is positive for him," said Dalglish.

"They found the infection and I suppose it's a wee bit like flu - you know you've got it, but you don't know where it came from.

"But they are treating and it is responding really well, so it's positive for him.

"There's nothing more sinister either."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7288704/Dalglish-hopeful-over-Gerrard
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #80: Nov 03, 2011 01:38:11 pm
      May be all the doom and gloom merchants will take note of Kenny's words.HE ISNT FINISHED YET!!!!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #81: Nov 03, 2011 02:16:24 pm
      May be all the doom and gloom merchants will take note of Kenny's words.HE ISNT FINISHED YET!!!!!!!

Doesn't hurt to plan for the future, one day he will be finished and we need to make sure we have got players to replace him.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #82: Nov 03, 2011 02:25:27 pm
      The future might be as long as four years away and the fact he has effectively had a good rest may infact extend his career. Its not about replacing him its about people writing him off way before they should be.
      The squad should always be in a state of eveloution in all postitions.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #83: Nov 03, 2011 02:35:09 pm
      He got a cut on his ankle in training that got infected he hasnt done his ulterior cruciate ligament get a fukin grip he'll probably play one of the Chelsea games.

Didn't know the cure for an infection was having a cast put on.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #84: Nov 03, 2011 02:43:19 pm

It was likely a special cast/boot that helped push swelling and inflammation out of his foot and ankle.  I would imagine that they operated on his ankle, treated the infection, and then placed the cast to keep it from swelling up to help to keep the recovery time as low as possible.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #85: Nov 03, 2011 02:51:29 pm

No one ever said it was a cut.

There are different types of infection that you can get internally as well as externally. There is no conspiracy here!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #86: Nov 03, 2011 07:56:44 pm
      Shocker: Gerrard aint finished and may only miss one Premier League match.

Funny the way the thread has gone a  bit quiet since this news came out. Doom and gloomers back under their rocks until the next opportunity.

Very sad.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #87: Nov 03, 2011 07:57:41 pm
      Shocker: Gerrard aint finished and will may only miss one Premier League match.

Funny the way the thread has gone a  bit quiet since this news came out. Doom and gloomers back under their rocks until the next opportunity.

Very sad.

to be perfectly fair to people, i think it was more worry and sadness regarding his injury rather than writing him off
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #88: Nov 03, 2011 08:03:21 pm
      to be perfectly fair to people, i think it was more worry and sadness regarding his injury rather than writing him off

Some yes, others no.

Too many Reds only happy when there is a bit of negativity to comment upon.

Check out the past 6 months of Stevie's thread or even better, the moaning when we win in the game threads.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #89: Nov 03, 2011 08:06:12 pm
      Doesn't hurt to plan for the future, one day he will be finished and we need to make sure we have got players to replace him.
      Well we don't need to for years!!!

And we have Shelvey when the day finally arrives. Long way away yet lads :D
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #90: Nov 03, 2011 08:08:28 pm
      Some yes, others no.

Too many Reds only happy when there is a bit of negativity to comment upon.

Check out the past 6 months of Stevie's thread or even better, the moaning when we win in the game threads.

some people are nagative fans some are positive... i dont think there will be one though that will be genuinely happy when he is finally done.. the mans a legend and people are not looking forward to the day he finishes
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #91: Nov 03, 2011 08:08:47 pm
      Totally agree with the thought of us planning for the future without him (which I think we are doing regardless of his injuries) and retiring from England duty. He could be clever and retire now and miss all the friendlies and then come back and walk back into the fold just before the Euros start.

A la Jamie Carragher.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #92: Nov 03, 2011 08:11:09 pm
      i dont think there will be one though that will be genuinely happy when he is finally done

Sorry mate but I beg to differ after the comments I have seen over the last few months.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #93: Nov 03, 2011 08:13:02 pm
      its just a setback..he will back for citeh defo..maybe not chelsea
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #94: Nov 03, 2011 08:14:34 pm
      Sorry mate but I beg to differ after the comments I have seen over the last few months.

well if thats the case when he actually is done and some are happy ill be suprised and a bit gutted after what the lad has done for us
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #95: Nov 03, 2011 10:42:25 pm
      Always need to plan for the future and have the players there ready to step up whenever called upon. Given we haven't missed Stevie as much over the past 12 months, give or take a month, as we would have a few years ago I think we have got the players. I think the fact we haven't had to rush him back like we have in the past is testament that we can cope without him a bit better now.

He's not irreplaceable because nobody as a footballer is, but the chances of us finding anyone with anywhere near the same quality is highly unlikely. He's been world class for the best part of the 21st century, changing games against teams of all quality on a regular basis. Scoring in every major cup final. Rescuing us when all looked lost. It's not just ability but his motivation, determination and dedication that we'll be looking to replace. But our dependance on him isn't as much as it used to be, which can only be a good thing that we now have a better team as opposed to better individually than Stevie. And that is more important that we have a better team even with lesser individuals.

He's still not finished, still got something left in the tank but he will have to adapt his game to the way his body is. Given the ability of Steven Gerrard, I don't think that's gonna be a problem.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #96: Nov 04, 2011 10:47:58 am
      How long is he out for? 2 weeks?

Read that he could return when we face Chelsea.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #97: Nov 04, 2011 10:49:25 am
      How long is he out for? 2 weeks?

Read that he could return when we face Chelsea.

kenny wont comment, said he is out of the weekend and the internationals but nothing beyond that..

he is said to be progressing well though
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #98: Dec 17, 2011 10:42:25 pm
      Man, last post on this thread was early November. It's now almost xmas and Stevie is still out. Depressing.
      Came across an article on Soccernet earlier than said he was in the UAE ... cause the warm weather might help?!?!
      I'm not a doctor but that's the first time I heard that warm weather was good for infections... just get the feeling someone's pissin down my back and tellin me it's raining.
      Anyway, supposedly he's back training on Monday.  Whatever is wrong with Stevie, I just hope it clears up, and soon.

Quick Reply