Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

This Summer - Who Leaves and Where do we need to improve?

Read 22166 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      This Summer - Who Leaves and Where do we need to improve?
      Mar 20, 2012 09:59:29 am
      I have been thinking long and hard about this summer, and Comolli's comments, and he has sent rather mixed messages regarding possible players joining the club.

Now we know there are maybe 5-10 players surplus to requirements here - and players who are not getting as many minutes as they may do at other clubs. So my question is, who do we think will no longer be a LFC player at the end of the summer transfer window, and which positions do we need cover/adequate replacements?

Departures
      Brad Jones - Not needed - FREE TRANSFER
      Fabio Aurelio - Sick note, great player if he can stay fit, and we wish him all the best in the future - FREE TRANSFER
      Joe Cole - Expect a move back to England, or a permanent move to Lille £3-4 MILLION
      Maxi Rodriguez- Out of contract I believe, and deserves playing time, we cannot currently provide him with. FREE TRANSFER
      Dani Pacheco - Expect him to move back to Spain - Tons of potential never fulfilled £1-2 MILLION
      Alberto Aquilani - Expect him to stay in Milan £6 MILLION
      Dirk Kuyt - Hate to say it as I really like the fella, but he is no longer first choice, and I'm sure someone will make him an offer in the summer £5-10 MILLION
      Jay Spearing - Needs a loan move to a decent premier league side - he will not be first choice, and needs a chance to prove himself
      Danny Wilson - He won't get minutes here, so may be worth him moving on £2-5 MILLION
      Charlie Adam -  May just be wishful thinking on my part, but he must be a bench warmer next season - and May wish to move on due to this - £5 MILLION

PLAYERS IN

We need to strengthen in several area's

CB - Carragher is getting on now, and Agger has a habit of sitting a fair few out in a season, so we need 1 decent CB to work with Skrtel, Agger, Coates and Carra.
      LB - Cover incase Enrique gets injured
      CDM Lucas is back next season, and if we loan players out, we will need a decent back up, as we have sorely missed him this season.
      RW We need a right winger with serious pace, someone like Walcott, but someone who can actually play football. Maybe give Sterling some game time in the last few games this season.
      ST We need a 20 goal a season Striker... We really do need someone to bury our chances - like Negredo, David Villa (Who may be up for a move) or Llorente

What is everyone elses feelings on the matter - The summer is not far off, and work is needed if we want to challenge for the Title next season!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Re: This Summer - Who Leaves and Where do we need to improve?
      Reply #1: Mar 20, 2012 10:17:02 am
      To me, Jay has proven enough this season and at the end of last season he's worth a place in our squad. No need to send him out on loan. I also don't think we need to bring in someone to replace Fabio. We have Jack Robinson as cover and if needed Johson or Kelly can play there.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 20, 2012 10:20:49 am
      i would go along with everything you have said but i think we have already got a ready made replacement for our left back in robinson. i know his young but IMO his good enough to be our number two. if we dont intend to have him as our 1st choice back up to jose we need to get him out on loan so he can learn the game. his not going to be doing that by not playing
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Mar 20, 2012 10:29:54 am
      To me, Jay has proven enough this season and at the end of last season he's worth a place in our squad. No need to send him out on loan. I also don't think we need to bring in someone to replace Fabio. We have Jack Robinson as cover and if needed Johson or Kelly can play there.
      Agree 100%
      I also believe that Adam will be staying.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Mar 20, 2012 10:44:02 am
      I expect Brad Jones, Danny Wilson, Daniel Pacheco, Alberto Aquilani, Joe Cole and Fabio Aurelio to leave te club. I mean, I would love some of them to stay but I can't see it happening.

As for Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez, I guess they would only be offloaded if we can find better replacements for them. There was an article I read just now that Dirk says he might consider leaving if he isn't first choice anymore.

As for Adam, should be a bench warmer at best at the moment but can't see him leaving this summer. As Jay Spearing, I think we need to keep him incase he's needed for cover.

Would like to see a creative midfielder with flair like David Silva (but I can't think of many around!), another right winger and a finisher.

Don't think left back is actually much of a problem because we have Robinson and if not, we have Johnson who can play there. Even so, priority should be the ones I mentioned above.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #5: Mar 20, 2012 11:26:05 am
      Sorry Kb why would be buy a centre back and a left back. That would just stop the development of players such as Coates and Robinson but i agree with most of what you said though.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #6: Mar 20, 2012 11:33:04 am
      Who goes? You decide.

To evict Dirk, call 09011..

On a more serious note, I'd be more worried about getting a striker and winger in than anything else. Don't think we need to shift that many players out though, but again I do think the likes of Suso and Raheem are going to break into the side soon enough.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Mar 20, 2012 12:24:04 pm
      I'd really love to see if Sterling is capable of stepping up next season, and some game time at the end of this one would go some way to finding out whether he's ready. Suso's another one obviously, but we need a winger of Raheem's pace and skill.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Mar 20, 2012 12:39:19 pm
      I think we need a natural goal scorer. Right wing is also a problem area for me. I'd like to see us bring in someone who will hold down that position as their own and will bring pace and a goal threat. Above all, it would be great to have a bit of intelligence in these positions.

At the end of the day, I want us to be going into games, looking at our team and saying "he'll get you a goal, he'll also get you a goal, those two will get you a goal, he's a goal threat, etc..".

You can only really say that about one or two players this season. It needs improving.

I'm not too concerned about defence. We're looking good when Agger and Skrtel are both fit and playing together. Coates is going to take time to adapt and I think he'll be ready a bit further down the line. Enrique and Johnson have been doing well and we've got Kelly, Robinson and Flannagan to hold the fort as they develop.

I'd get shut of Adam. Possibly Carroll as well. Although there is this slight niggling feeling in the back of my mind that he will grow out of his skin and become a proper Liverpool striker. He just doesn't give enough on the pitch for me though.

Maxi and possibly Kuyt will be/could be leaving. Like I said earlier, these need replacing with players who are goal threats, have the intelligence and work rate to get straight into the team.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 20, 2012 01:25:42 pm
      Completely disagree about Spearing. You say we'll need a back up for Lucas and Spearing is perfect for that. I'd be very unhappy if we loaned Spearing out next season.

Apart from that it's hard not agree, but I don't think we'll be in the market for a LB.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #10: Mar 20, 2012 01:51:40 pm
      I would say Spearing is first choice centre mid along side the Captain at this moment in time.

Probably be the only person to think this, but if Lucas turned up 100 percent fit tomorrow, I wouldn't put him straight back in the side ahead of Spearing. Jay has earnt his place there IMO.

Rodriguez I'm a big fan of, really can't understand why he's down the pecking order. Great assist on Sunday and has ability that a certain player initials JH hasn't shown as yet though to be fair, he doesn't seem like a winger.

Kuyt I'd be more than happy to see still here next season as a squad player coming off the bench and always a good option for the big games that he seems to excell in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #11: Mar 20, 2012 02:16:05 pm
      Maxi is leaving, his contract is up and he's going back to Argentina.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #12: Mar 20, 2012 02:11:25 pm
      I think defensively, we are completely covered for next season. We've got our current preferred back 5, then we've got Coates, Kelly, Carra, Flanagan, and Robinson. That's more than enough cover as we've got three back up CBs (Coates, Carra, Kelly if necessary) and we've got 2 backup RBs in Johnson and Flanno with Robinson, Johnson, and Kelly covering LB of necessary.

We need a new striker, but one who is basically opposite to Carroll in the fact that he should be quick, able to perform in pass and move football, and preferably a poacher. If we could get the complete package like Cavani then we'd be set, if not, we should be going for players like David Villa or Roberto Soldado.

We are in definite need of at least one winger, preferably two (unless one of Sterling/Suso are prepared to make the jump to first squad) who has loads of pace and decent skill. Muniain would be a dream move in this spot, but Afellay, Pedro, Tello, Zaha, would be quality as well.

I'd like for us to keep Spearing as a backup to Lucas as he's clearly deserved it, he's been far more important to our side's recent success than Adam has. However, we should pursue a new CDM/CM who can fill the shoes that Xabi left years ago. And if we can't find one, we should bring in a new DM who can fill Lucas shoes and then Lucas could step into Xabi's old role of the deep playmaker who also defends. I'd love to see us splash the cash on Javi Martinez as he's a brilliant player. M'Vila, Tiote, or Keita qualify as well.

Signings in those positions could be vital to sparking our attack and for us to start scoring more goals.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: Mar 20, 2012 02:16:20 pm
      I think we're defensively sound with Carra, Agger, Skrtel and Coates in CBs. On the sides, we have Johnson, Enrique, Flanagan, Robinson and Kelly who can also play CB I think.

It's just the lack of ammunition up front, particularly in a finisher, winger and creative midfielder.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #14: Mar 20, 2012 02:21:48 pm
      Aurelio's contract will be up but I don't see him needing replacing.  It was a completely foolish decision by Hodgson or the board to bring him back when we had let him go months before.

Obvious that our focus doesn't need to be on our defence.  Clearly Carra isn't getting any younger and Agger is still injury prone - but it's not an area we need to go out and spend £20M on.  We have a real opportunity to bring on some of our youth players as a potential centre-back for us.

Our focus needs to be up front.  We are very light on forward players.  We'd like to see a proven striker, and arguably a fourth striker - a young player or even a player at the end of their career who we can pick up cheaply.  Bellamy proves that are still bargains to be had.

Two strikers and two attacking wingers would do me.  We can't rely on Downing, Kuyt, Bellamy and Henderson as our four wide players next year.

If the club aren't looking at the four attacking positions as their top priority then they need to.  Liverpool should be able to bring at least 3 quality players in for about £40M, with little damage done to the salary bill - especially if we have Aquilani, Aurelio and Cole off our books.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: Mar 20, 2012 02:32:55 pm
      I would keep Spearo and Maxi  the rest in your departures I agree with ,
      Chucks got a sweet left peg sometimes , his goals to games ratio is honkin,  free kicks and corners leave an awful lot to be desired what with
       Big Andy needing service its no rocket science ,  if you cant find a guy 6ft 23" your days have got to be numbered .
      When Stevie G came back from injury within 2 mins he placed a ball on Andys napper , the rest of the players couldnt  find him with a compass and Sat Nav in 4 games .
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 20, 2012 02:33:07 pm
      With the like of Shelvey, Sterling, Coady and Morgan coming through i wouldn't like to see us rush out and buy players who are going to deny these youngsters chances, unless they are top drawer obviously.
      As has been said, the one thing we definetly need is a 20 goal a season striker, how about Demba Ba with his 7 mil release clause?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Mar 20, 2012 02:58:42 pm
      Departures
      Brad Jones - FREE TRANSFER
      Fabio Aurelio - - FREE TRANSFER
      Joe Cole -  £3-4 MILLION
      Maxi Rodriguez-  FREE TRANSFER
      Dani Pacheco -  £1-2 MILLION
      Alberto Aquilani -  £6 MILLION
      Danny Wilson - £2-5 MILLION
      Charlie Adam -   - £5 MILLION

Go with those but not Jay or Dirk.

Jay needs to stay at Anfield. He has been putting in a good shift as in the Stoke game and keeping Adams sidelined.

Dirk Deserves more from us.
      Six years solid service till a trophy. The lad should have a testimonial for the life saver goals he's netted.
      Duracell man stays.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Mar 20, 2012 05:32:29 pm
      Departures
      Joe Cole -  £3-4 MILLION

Jay needs to stay at Anfield. He has been putting in a good shift as in the Stoke game and keeping Adams sidelined.

Dirk Deserves more from us.
      Six years solid service till a trophy. The lad should have a testimonial for the life saver goals he's netted.
      Duracell man stays.

Don't disagree Euro but Dirk is already unhappy with his minutes and bringing in new forward/wingers as we all want certainly will not improve his time on the pitch, so I think he will be allowed to leave with grace if he so desires.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #19: Mar 20, 2012 05:38:51 pm
      Think these will be on their way out along with possibly Dirk if a decent offer comes in.

Brad Jones - FREE
      Fabio Aurelio - - FREE
      Joe Cole - £3m
      Maxi Rodriguez-  FREE
      Dani Pacheco -  £1.5m
      Alberto Aquilani -  £5m
      Danny Wilson - season loan

We need a top class winger and striker, Podolski and Hazard would do me.

harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #20: Mar 20, 2012 05:53:07 pm
      Departures
      Joe Cole -  £3-4 MILLION

I'd agree with this.  I think as far as In's we would need an experienced backup CB, another CM, at least one winger, and a CF. 

Personally, I would like to see us go after Juan Vargas.  He could provide cover/competition for the entire left flank. 

I am also a big fan of Mo Diame - he is a dynamic CM who has a much better defensive side to his game than Charlie Adam does, but he also brings a bit of guile when going forward.... he's available on a free too! 

I'd also like to see us go after Affelay as I think Barca will be willing to sell up this summer to make room for Tello and Cuenca to continue their development.  I think Affelay would be a great option at RW! 

Ba or Huntelaar would be great options to compete with Carrol for the rights to partner Suarez up front. 

Not sure who we could get at CB.... perhaps someone like Roger Johnson if Wolves are relegated.  He would be 3rd choice for a season or two until Coates fully settles in and jumps ahead of him in the pecking order. 
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #21: Mar 20, 2012 06:04:28 pm
      Roger Johnson is a F***ing laugh.

We've got better CB's in our youth setup then that drunk c**t.

Diame is the only player off that list I'd be interested in.

Players like Jovetic, Capoue, Douglas Costa, Yarmolenko are some who stick out for me. Young but good enough to go straight away into our first 11. No more signing squad players please, we've got enough.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Mar 20, 2012 06:10:10 pm
      OUT

Jones
      Cole
      Aquilani
      Pacheco
      Wilson
      Aurelio
      Maxi
      Kuyt

And possibly Glen Johnson, who is the one player who I think we have good cover for, who is on a huge salary and who we would get a large fee for (if we need the money)

IN

First and most importantly a striker. We desperately need someone who can be relied on to put away a good percentage of the chances we are creating. I would like them to be fast as well, as I think we have suffered from a lack of pace up front this season.

A good Defensive Midfielder, not necessarily top class, although if we have the money..... why not! I think if Lucas can continue from where he left off we can manage with a decent backup, but obviously I would prefer top class if we can get one to bring more competition for places and to also allow Kenny more options on formations.

A top quality wide player, hopefully one that gets their fair share of goals and creates more than their fair share of chances. Again I would prefer the speedy option if possible.

Looking forward

I think we should be looking to the eventual replacement of Carra. Making a judgement on if and when Wisdom will be ready for the step up as to whether we look for another young star (similar to Jones last season) or not. I would run Carra's contract down before making any decision on his future.

Similarly I would look to see how far Morgan is away from making the step up before deciding if we should be looking to bring in a fourth striker or make do and mend in the short term until Morgan is ready.

Hopefully both Sterling and Suso will start to push hard for the odd game or a few minutes off the bench next season, but I wouldn't be expecting much more than that.

If we sell Kuyt and with Carra's eventual retirement I think we may need to look to strengthen the squad with a couple of versatile players. Jack of all trades, but hopefully masters of one.

Quick Reply