Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (37.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (5.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (2.1%)
      Daniel Agger
      (8.2%)
      Jose Enrique
      (19.9%)
      Charlie Adam
      (4.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (6.8%)
      Luis Suarez
      (6.2%)
      Andy Carroll
      (2.7%)
      Stuart Downing
      (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (2.7%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (0.7%)

Liverpool 0-0 Swansea: Post Match Sorrows

Read 67475 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Swansea: Post Match Sorrows
      Reply #759: Nov 06, 2011 01:44:43 pm
      Gutted yesterday, recently we've dropped points at home and played well but we just didnt turn up yesterday.

Brave move from Kenny to replace Henderson but for me Downing should have been subbed too. Bellamy or Maxi should be given a chance ahead of him as on current form he should not be near the starting line-up.

Fair play to Swansea, they are a good team who kept the ball and controlled the midfield in parts.

Was hoping that going into the next two league games we'd have built up ahead of steam, lets keep things in perspective though. If we win the next two, these dropped points vs Norwich and Swansea will be almost forgotton about.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #760: Nov 06, 2011 01:50:31 pm
      One of the whining bas**rds spoken of.
      The whining b***ard in question (LFC 4EVA) has got himself fu**ed off good style.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #761: Nov 06, 2011 01:53:26 pm
      Yeah i've been thinking for a while now that Kenny seems reluctant to use all of his subs, even when the lad son the pitch aren't playing well. I can only assume he isn't fully happy with his squad players. I expected to have seen more of Maxi and Spearing but they have both been non-factors all season in the league. I think we will see a couple more players come in during the January window.

I've been saying and thinking that majority of the season.

Sometimes I find his substitutions rather weird. For example, Carroll was playing well last night. Practically won all the headers he challenged for but he gets taken off for Bellamy. Should have been Downing who once again, failed to impress.

Bringing Maxi on wouldn't have such been a bad shout either.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #762: Nov 06, 2011 01:54:05 pm
      Agger on for Kuyt v Norwich was a strange one.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #763: Nov 06, 2011 01:58:01 pm
      Found it very difficult to post as I was so disappointed after the game but I thought we did O.K. in the first half. We created a few good chances and while Swansea had their fair share of possession, most of it was in their own half and they hardly threatened apart from the one chance.

Second half, as in a number of games this season we lost our way, we stopped playing and allowed Swansea to dominate for long periods. Then when time was running out we finally showed some urgency and put in the effort that had been missing earlier and should have won the game.

Without Gerrard and with Suarez having probably his worst game for us, we looked toothless in attack,  Carroll was winning headers but apart from hitting the bar early on looking decidedly unthreatening. 

We need to sort out why we disappear for large parts of the second half, why we can't convert our chances, and why players seem happy to relinquish responsibility rather than taking games by the scruff of the neck.

Big games coming up, time the players stepped up and showed us why they are lucky enough to play for Liverpool.

From the first to last words this post sums up yesterdays game for me. Just to add that, unfortunately, I wasn't overly surprised because as I posted pre-match (and during); we tend to believe that 'more of the same' will see us through.

That's the fourth match we've drawn at home and it followed the same pattern as the others. We seem to believe that what we're doing will see us prevail even when our opponents change tack/formation. We either do not react or react too late. Good players shouldn't have to wait for the nod from Kenny - similarly Kenny should allow them the freedom to do so without the nod.

The flexibility to change which we saw at the end of last season, (the thing that gave me most hope), is missing big time.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #764: Nov 06, 2011 02:21:35 pm
      We really are missing pace in the team especially in the centre of the team neither downing or Henderson or even Kuyt have searing pace either. We are unable to stretch teams. Pace is vital in a 4-4-2 especially out wide that is why utd have made it work pace on the wide positions
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #765: Nov 06, 2011 02:23:39 pm
      First half we pretty much dominated them, they had one possibly two flashes. Second half, they came up with the fire in their bellies and attacked us with belief. We still had chances, still stopped them from any clear cut chances apart from the Graham chance which only came about by Pepe spilling the original shot.

It's another game where we've dropped points that on paper we shouldn't of but we have on the field. Credit to Swansea is all I can say, they actually went for the win. More than some teams have at Anfield in recent years. F***ing massive well done to Brendan Rogers and his players. Their wide men caused our full backs trouble, more Routledge (Liverpool fan) on their left. But Dyer kept Enrique busy in the second half as well. The middle of the park they just overran Adam and Lucas who didn't look like a real pairing to me. Nothing to do with two in the middle as Spearing and Lucas played as a two man central midfield last season and we F***ing twatted most that stood in front of us. It was just yesterday Lucas and Adam didn't seem to work well together yesterday, again credit to Swansea for that.

Up top wasn't the best of games for either. But the delivery from out wide was shocking. Downing was god awful, Henderson had one of his poorer games and Kuyt didn't touch the ball for about the first 20 minutes of coming on. Suarez and Carroll both tried but neither were as good as they have been in recent weeks.

Overall, credit to Swansea as far as I'm concerned. They F***ing deserved that point and duly got it. Plenty of time to reflect on it with the poxy internationals now and plenty of time for Kenny and his staff to assess where we're going wrong and why we're not winning more games than we have.
      lost.in.space
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #766: Nov 06, 2011 02:43:37 pm

sorry for my bad english :(
      I hope can learn lot here :)

Vorm as I expected before :D
      Pepe is more than him I think :p

hope vs Chelsea we could win  :roll:
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #767: Nov 06, 2011 03:04:19 pm
      The whining b***ard in question (LFC 4EVA) has got himself fu**ed off good style.
      Has that tit finally been banned?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #768: Nov 06, 2011 03:17:46 pm
      We are still sitting in a decent position but we have to win our home games we cant afford to drop this many points 6 points dropped in 3 games is poor at home.I think its a bit of a stalemate with the crowd at present they want exciting football to get behind and the team needs the fans to make the atmosphere electric to spur them on.
      I know that the 3 midfielders have come in for some stick but with 2 fullbacks and a winger bombing on we need that cover and I dont think creating chances has been our biggest problem our finishing is another matter. january will be interesting to see if Kenny thinks we need a bit more experience in the side  we look lost at times another Gary Mac will do fine.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #769: Nov 06, 2011 03:58:51 pm
      We need pace more than anything if Kenny continues with the same tactics. I dont think Gary mac would make any difference in a flat. 4-4-2. Who exactly would do Gary macs running he wouldn't have a young pacy Gerrard or an electric Owen or a quick heskey in the side
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #770: Nov 06, 2011 04:13:14 pm
      Didn't see the match yesterday but it seems we still have a couple of problem areas ,last 3 seasons the left side was an issue ,well for me Enrique has that nailed down now and is probably our most consistent player,Midfielders ? well we have loads of them don't we? and none of them the complete article ( bossing the game killer passes, tackling and securing the ball ,)  Gerrard is the only complete midfielder in our squad as he has all these qualities nin his locker but sadly is injured , our youth from the past 2 seasons should now be regular starters this season ,Spearing, Shelvey ( did he need to go on loan? ) talented lads ! Kenny is the right and only man for the job IMO, i've no doubt we will get 4th place this season ,gonna be a bumpy ride though !
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #771: Nov 06, 2011 04:38:58 pm
      IMO it's possibly a problem we do not have a genuine right winger, but a TRUE PROBLEM is we desperately persist  with play two wingers despite we really know we have no one on the right.

IMO this really no good for Henderson, he's central midfield but mostly asked to play RM. And many people here already judge him failed/flop just after about 10 league games. 

With only Lucas and Adam in central midfield and they both played together just around 10 games imo it's not easy for Adam to play all-out-attack, that result in many said we lack of goal score from midfield or nobody present in the box when need. Even though that's true I think I saw Adam try several time to shot, just can't score. Any most important thing we all realize that Lucas is RARELY try to score himself, that's surely even more limit our shot on target from midfield.

Like racerx mentioned above until we get the real top quality RM/RW I hope we play with 3 central midfields, Gerrard/Adam/Hederson/Maxi/Shelvey(when he back)/Downing to attack and Lucas/Spearing to defense this to avoid our weak on the right and play to our strength.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #772: Nov 06, 2011 04:47:41 pm
      Ok, we have moaned and groaned but yet we still have to work with the same set of players from now till the end of the season and we do recognise our our midfielders are not one of the fastest or the hardest tacklers, most here I believe would agree. That being the case, which leaves the midfielders with only one thing that they can do, that is, to work on their passing to make it inch perfect assists to Suarez and Carroll so that both would not have to play facing our goal most of the time but running towards the opposition goal.

Besides that, we all know Andy is a great header of the ball but we don't need to continuously float those high balls to him, for a change let's get him near the edge of the box and pass the ball to him on the ground and let him harass and bulldoze past defenders as what he used to do when he was at Newcastle and get someone, perhaps Spearing, to shadow him and to pick up those loose balls, hopefully that will continue to put the pressure on the opposing defence.

Since we're a bit over crowded on the left and doing fine, we should try putting Bellers on the right wing full time till we get in a proper right winger. Or we can try to station our ever menacing Bellers in midfield as a catalyst to support Suarez and Carroll, maybe an absurd idea but if i'm an opposing defender it'd be a nighmare try to contain Suarez, Andy and Bellers. As the saying goes, desperate times requires desparate actions and we must try everything possible to make it work in midfield as we don't have the luxury of changing the entire midfield set-up now or the near future as what we have tried so far doesn't seems to be yielding the desired results.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #773: Nov 06, 2011 04:56:13 pm
      Ok, we have moaned and groaned but yet we still have to work with the same set of players from now till the end of the season

Why? Has the January transfer window been abolished?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #774: Nov 06, 2011 05:03:25 pm

Who is to say we will buy anyone in January?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #775: Nov 06, 2011 05:19:28 pm
      Who is to say we will buy anyone in January?

Who is to say we won't?
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #776: Nov 06, 2011 05:21:00 pm
      Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

Enough said ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #777: Nov 06, 2011 05:21:04 pm

No-one, but it's a bit sad to think that everything will be cured in the Jan transfer window.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #778: Nov 06, 2011 05:24:00 pm

No, the January window is well and alive, but on the realistic side of things we have may not have the funds to buy anymore players as we had used up quite a fair bit of it the last round.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #779: Nov 06, 2011 05:26:14 pm
      Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

Enough said .

So basically, you are saying that our poor performances were never criticized by our supporters during Shankly's 15 years in charge?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #780: Nov 06, 2011 05:28:38 pm
      So basically, you are saying that our poor performances were never criticized by our supporters during Shankly's 15 years in charge?

Not the way fans criticise now, no.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #781: Nov 06, 2011 05:31:21 pm
      No, the January window is well and alive, but on the realistic side of things we have may not have the funds to buy anymore players as we had used up quite a fair bit of it the last round.

Since the arrival of FSG, we have invested £30 million in new players, in the last 2 transfer windows. A respectable amount, but nothing spectacular, and certainly not an investment guaranteeing Champions League football.

Quick Reply