Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)

Read 167397 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)
      Reply #69: Jan 18, 2011 12:13:20 pm
      I think there is nothing in the rumours, thank god £10 million is insane for him and just another stop gap for the left side, I agree with another poster on here he reminds me of Reira to a point.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #70: Jan 18, 2011 01:34:48 pm
      Used to be much better like about 3 years ago. Hasn't really been the same player ever since he left for Villa.

I'd take Young instead.
      young would cost twice as much, lets be realistic with our budget. and no way would nzogbia cost 10m, more like 15 nowdays.

id much rather have nzogbia or young (or arda turan) as a winger...but if we really cant afford that, then i wouldnt mind downing. he has great crossing ability and can provide some much needed chances for nando.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #71: Jan 18, 2011 02:52:01 pm
      He's better than what we currently have, but i'd still see him  as a stop-gap.

We've had enough stop-gaps on the wings over the years, I want someone who will cement that spot for now and for the future. Ideally, someone like Mata, but that might be slightly unrealistic.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #72: Jan 19, 2011 11:01:19 pm
      He's an o.k. sort of player, but not top drawer. Don't see his presence taking us any further than what we've got. Big expense with no progress is what I see.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #73: Jan 19, 2011 11:21:57 pm
      Downing??!! Oh hell no!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #74: Jan 20, 2011 07:30:03 am
      Just watched the brum-villa game again and he was really good.
      If we get suarez, a simple wide left player like downing would be a great buy.
      I am in favour if not a mind blowing figure
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #75: May 12, 2011 07:45:31 am
      Aston Villa: Stewart Downing happy to stay on at 'fantastic club'

By Mat Kendrick
      May 11 2011

The former Middlesbrough favourite has re-established himself in the England set-up since his £12 million move and is confident the club is heading in the right direction.

He cites the record signing of Three Lions striker Darren Bent in January as proof that Villa are still a “massive” club despite a frustrating season of under-achievement.

“It’s great,” said Downing. “I’ve still got two years left and they’ve come to me with an offer.

“For a player that is brilliant because it gives you confidence that they have faith in you and that they reward people if they do well.

“If you see the young lads this season, they’ve all signed up to new deals so we’re heading in the right place.

“Darren Bent’s come here, he’s a big player and probably the main striker for England at the moment. I know he was desperate to come here.

“It’s a fantastic football club, it’s massive. We all know it should be doing a lot better than this and we will.”

Downing, who won the supporters, players and sponsor’s player of the year awards at Monday’s dinner, shrugged off speculation of a move to Liverpool.

“I think it’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well,” he added. “Ever since I was young I’ve read the papers and it’s said, ‘You’re going here, you’re going there’.

“Half of it’s not even true, it’s just speculation. Obviously if you have a good season you get linked. But I’m happy here.

“I’ve had a good season and hopefully I can carry that on.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/05/11/aston-villa-stewart-downing-happy-to-stay-on-at-fantastic-club-97319-28677101/2/
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #76: May 12, 2011 12:23:33 pm
      That's no problem with me!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #77: May 12, 2011 01:08:54 pm
      That's fine, we'll have your mate Ashley!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #78: May 12, 2011 01:13:31 pm
      He's a decent enough player but I wouldn't exactly be jumping about the place if we signed him. I'm really not that fussed.
      Young, on the other hand has the potential to really do some damage in a system like ours.
      dryder1
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts |
      Reply #79: May 13, 2011 10:02:03 am
      Downing is a decent player, IMO he has improved since he left for Aston Villa, but I'd much rather see Marc Albrighton come to Anfield.  He's young and has bags of potential.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #80: May 13, 2011 11:15:16 pm
      Really like downing but all this stuff about Downing and Young is an odd one to me.
      Downing plays left wing and young if bought would be to play imo as a left winger also.
      Its one or other as far as I can see.
      Yes, as villa they both play, but we have suarez and gerrard who can play as the 2nd striker/link up man.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #81: May 13, 2011 11:24:45 pm
      So what, he can stay there. Can't say that I'm sad and I'll shed a tear over his decision.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #82: May 13, 2011 11:36:48 pm
      Eh?
      Don't understand what you are insinuating?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #83: May 14, 2011 03:16:03 am
      I remember when he was at Boro a few years ago after they got relegated to the championship he was the big asset that was being moved when in fact it was the young Adam Johnson who by the looks of things turned out being the better players. Though he is a left sided player I was never a big fan of Downing and would think he did come he would be an over-priced squad player rather than starting XI quality we need on the left side.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #84: May 14, 2011 07:31:21 am
      Really like downing but all this stuff about Downing and Young is an odd one to me.
      Downing plays left wing and young if bought would be to play imo as a left winger also.
      Its one or other as far as I can see.
      Yes, as villa they both play, but we have suarez and gerrard who can play as the 2nd striker/link up man.
      Young can play anywhere across the front, in my opinion. I think he'd fit brilliantly into our system where the attacking play is very fluid and nobody is particularly left or right sided.
      Downing, on the other hand doesn't have that versatility to my mind.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #85: May 14, 2011 08:20:11 am
      I actually think downing would be a better signing. He has been the better player over the season. Didnt he win all there player of the year awards no better judge than the fans who have seen them every week
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #86: May 14, 2011 08:23:04 am
      He may have done but I just don't think he'd fit as well.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #87: May 14, 2011 08:28:37 am
      I think young is very hyped saying that think he would be a decent signing. Dont think he has really performed over the last two years. If you check both players stats it is downing that comes out on top. If comoli is using the moneyball method i think he would go with downing
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #88: May 14, 2011 08:31:01 am
      Fair enough, just my opinion from what I've seen. Young excites me.... in a totally heterosexual kind of way  :D
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #89: May 14, 2011 08:32:54 am
      Downing is very underrated by some, would be an excellent signing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,427 posts | 8650 
      Reply #90: May 14, 2011 11:13:53 am
      Downing is very underrated by some, would be an excellent signing.

Already come out and said he wants to stay at Villa.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #91: May 14, 2011 12:35:05 pm
      Dont think he has really performed over the last two years. If you check both players stats it is downing that comes out on top.

Young stats last couple of years in the Premiership

2010/11 G 7 A 9
      2009/10 G 5 A 7

Downing

2010/11 G6 A 7
      2009/10 G2   A 1

Even a few years ago when both Downing who was with Boro  and Young had those break out season Young stats were better also. Downing for me would simply be the cheaper option of the two which is

Quick Reply