Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (37.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (5.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (2.1%)
      Daniel Agger
      (8.2%)
      Jose Enrique
      (19.9%)
      Charlie Adam
      (4.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (6.8%)
      Luis Suarez
      (6.2%)
      Andy Carroll
      (2.7%)
      Stuart Downing
      (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (0%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (2.7%)
      Craig Bellamy
      (0.7%)

Liverpool 0-0 Swansea: Post Match Sorrows

Read 66750 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Swansea: Post Match Sorrows
      Reply #828: Nov 06, 2011 09:13:19 pm
      no they did not get criticised because they left their heart and soul on the pitch at the end of the game and always got applauded off (only the REF got booed)and if the opposition had a good game they too would be applauded. Our job was easily defined as we couldn't get in the team we got behind the lads 100% and if they needed a bit more support to urge them on they got that too.The 12th man legend was not a legend but a fact. 2-0 at half time was ok because we would be kicking into the KOP End. Its the belief that has gone from the team and the supporters to a very large extent.Times have changed but not for the better IMHO taking cameras to a match is bizzare to me the only Cameras I ever saw where the press, you go to the game to get involved and vent your spleen.
      Maybe we need to use more local lads who might have that extra bit of passion which frankly without Jamie and Stevie is totally missing.

What a crock of BS.  I remember going into the working mens clubs my granddad ran, all over the country, the discussions post match were exactly what goes on in here, except now they are on a much larger scale.  In the ground, you're right, I'd never dream of taking a camera in and my job, when there, is to support, though I disagree with booing refs, at least they make honest mistakes, unlike some players, including ours. 

So now we are disagreeing with Shanks, says it all when you post a quote from the great man ON A LIVERPOOL forum and people still try to justify their moaning and groaning as supporting the club.  :mad:

No, I'm saying YOU are confusing lack of support and criticism.  I'm saying you are at fault, not Shanks.  Is that clear enough or shall I expect your typical jingoistic response?
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #829: Nov 06, 2011 09:23:19 pm
      Yep a scouser singing in the Kop frustrated by the day trip wannabes that don't and the same scouser posting a shanks quote in a Liverpool forum trying to stop the whinging Idiots is to blame. Do us a favour lad and do exactly what Shanks said in my quote....... Do one you bring nothing.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #830: Nov 06, 2011 09:26:05 pm
      Ha ha.

I never gave an analysis of the game.

It's a shame that you are under such an influence from the SkySports pundits. If you cut them out, you might actually develop a much better tactical understanding of the game. That "thing" you are talking about, when describing Tottenham's ability to win matches even when the opponent is "battering" them, is called "game control". I don't know how good your Italian is, but try reading the "Il Gioco delle Idee: Pensieri e Passioni da Bordo Campo". Once you read that, you will realize how insignificant the stats like "number of shots" are.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #831: Nov 06, 2011 09:28:13 pm
      Okay boys and girls - would be more appropriate in this thread to get back to discussing the actual game.

A game which was by far our worst performance of the season (Spurs was bad but having 2 sent off was a major mitigating factor!).

The fact is that the majority of our fans would agree we should have more points than we have (and we are 6th).  I'd be far more concerned if we actually had been massively lucky and had more points than we had deserved and were 6th.

Agree with an early poster that it was harsh that Carroll was replaced for Bellamy.  It should have been Downing making way.  Yes, Carroll hit the bar, but we have hit the woodwork on ten other occasions this season.  I think Bellamy/Carroll/Suarez would have been a more gung-ho approach that was worth going for.

Suarez was also poor for me.  I know he is often our best player - but I don't think that gives him the ability to be excused for a poor performance.

gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #832: Nov 06, 2011 09:33:26 pm
      Well and here is the crutch guys and girls, you get a warning for quoting shanks the Liverpool way and the none singers and day trippers but you don't get a warning for being involved in the same debate for being an oot. Perhaps copy and paste and put in what's wrong with our support thread. jD you should be ashamed La
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #833: Nov 06, 2011 09:36:34 pm
      Well and here is the crutch guys and girls, you get a warning for quoting shanks the Liverpool way and the none singers and day trippers but you don't get a warning for being involved in the same debate for being an oot. Perhaps copy and paste and put in what's wrong with our support thread. jD you should be ashamed La

I have to disagree gazza, what you posted was shameful.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #834: Nov 06, 2011 09:38:18 pm
      It's a shame that you are under such an influence from the SkySports pundits. If you cut them out, you might actually develop a much better tactical understanding of the game. That "thing" you are talking about, when describing Tottenham's ability to win matches even when the opponent is "battering" them, is called "game control". I don't know how good your Italian is, but try reading the "Il Gioco delle Idee: Pensieri e Passioni da Bordo Campo". Once you read that, you will realize how insignificant the stats like "number of shots" are.

Ha Ha and once you stop trying to portray yourself as the messiah of all things football and had you watched the match in question then you would know Tottenham were not in control of that game.

Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell ran the game not Modric and Parker.

But thank you for confirming what I already knew and that is you are full of sh*t.

And save yourself the embarrasment of stating that I'm under the influence from the SkySports pundits as you just look like an even bigger bell end when I hand you, your arse on a plate.

Now getting back to the original context of what I was saying about the game, before you tried to change the whole context of it trying to be a smart arse.

Is Tottenham played poor, they were second best all over the pitch and got 3 points, much like ourselves yesterday we were second best all over the pitch and we got a point, until we start turning, draws, losees into wins when playing poorly we won't be realistically challenging for top 4 as the teams that have bad days above us are still managing to get their 3 points.

gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #835: Nov 06, 2011 09:38:45 pm
      I have to disagree gazza, what you posted was shameful.

You would

The quote support us wether we win lose or draw or F**k off is from the great man himself.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #836: Nov 06, 2011 09:42:59 pm
      Yep a scouser singing in the Kop frustrated by the day trip wannabes that don't and the same scouser posting a shanks quote in a Liverpool forum trying to stop the whinging Idiots is to blame. Do us a favour lad and do exactly what Shanks said in my quote....... Do one you bring nothing.

Case of selective reading I see.  Ignored the bit where I said the job of a supporter is to support, in the ground.  Out of the ground critiquing  is nothing new, happens and happened in every pub/club I've ever been to after a match has finished.   I find it hard to believe 25,000 season ticket holders can't create an atmosphere and yet the traveling Kop can.  Maybe we should look at who have the season tickets, rather than constantly blaming the minority who have their faults as well.  I hate seeing cameras constantly flashing, whether I'm in the ground or watching it via other means.

Bugger it, pointless arguing, I'm going to stick my head in the sand with Gazza.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #837: Nov 06, 2011 09:43:15 pm
      Anfields a joke now. Better support is given on the away games. We can't even get in the champions league, F***ing joke
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #838: Nov 06, 2011 09:43:53 pm
      Ha Ha and once you stop trying to portray yourself as the messiah of all things football and had you watched the match in question then you would know Tottenham were not in control of that game.

Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell ran the game not Modric and Parker.

But thank you for confirming what I already knew and that is you are full of sh*t.

And save yourself the embarrasment of stating that I'm under the influence from the SkySports pundits as you just look like an even bigger bell end when I hand you, your arse on a plate.

Now getting back to the original context of what I was saying about the game, before you tried to change the whole context of it trying to be a smart arse.

Is Tottenham played poor, they were second best all over the pitch and got 3 points, much like ourselves yesterday we were second best all over the pitch and we got a point, until we start turning, draws, losees into wins when playing poorly we won't be realistically challenging for top 4 as the teams that have bad days above us are still managing to get their 3 points.

Is this not the match thread?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #839: Nov 06, 2011 09:46:01 pm
      You would

The quote support us wether we win lose or draw or f**k off is from the great man himself.

Wrong, qoute the great man where is said "f**k off"
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #840: Nov 06, 2011 09:47:17 pm

Yes it is and it has relevance if you follow the conversation I was having before jumping in with your size 9's.

I was making comparisons based on how we were terrible yesterday and second best all over the pitch and only got one point.

And how Tottenham were terrible today and were second best all over the pitch and got three points.

Or is that not allowed Mr Moderator ?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #841: Nov 06, 2011 09:49:13 pm
      Yes it is and it has relevance if you follow the conversation I was having before jumping in with your size 9's.

I was making comparisons based on how we were terrible yesterday and second best all over the pitch and only got one point.

And how Tottenham were terrible today and were second best all over the pitch and got three points.

Or is that not allowed Mr Moderator ?
      Not trying to be a mod, just it seems this thread has descended into another Mac red v Redlfcblood row, not discussions about Liverpool V Swansea.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #842: Nov 06, 2011 09:49:29 pm

Ignore function broken?

Please keep it on topic.  You can discuss Spurs spawny victory in here
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/board,20.0.html
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #843: Nov 06, 2011 09:50:36 pm
      .Well reds if that is the best some of them can play we are truly fu**ed.  Players like downing were strolling yesterday match. Obviously huyton your in anfield so you will know the problems more so anything you say on the subject is worth listenin g.  We need the players to be giving a 100%as well something im not sure some of them are doing
      Remember that just becuase a player tries doesn't mean he's playing to the best of his ability.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #844: Nov 06, 2011 09:50:42 pm

No but sometimes you just have to respond when someone is talking such fluent bullshit.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #845: Nov 06, 2011 09:52:00 pm
      What games do we have after the international break?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #846: Nov 06, 2011 09:52:43 pm

Grab a F***ing fixture list and look.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #847: Nov 06, 2011 09:54:28 pm
      Chelsea(A) Man City(H), personally think we'll beat both, seem to have had a bad result agianst a 'smaller' team and then beaten harder teams on a number of occasions.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #848: Nov 06, 2011 09:55:39 pm
      Thanks mate, Chelsea away twice then with the carling cup game. Man city will be interesting
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #849: Nov 06, 2011 10:18:42 pm
      Andy is a great header of the ball but we don't need to continuously float those high balls to him, for a change let's get him near the edge of the box and pass the ball to him on the ground and let him harass and bulldoze past defenders as what he used to do when he was at Newcastle and get someone, perhaps Spearing, to shadow him and to pick up those loose balls, hopefully that will continue to put the pressure on the opposing defence.

The big man is quality, won't be long til he hits his stride

We can get better, a lot of teams have had bad starts (i.e. Arsenal) there have been a lot of positives and creating a lot of chances IS a good sign,  while undoubtedly, not converting them is not, however it will not be long before they start turning into goals: the strikers are both real quality. A lot of good performances from lots of players too: maybe not that great y'day but have been some good performances from individuals but not as a whole, yet

Chelsea game will be a good test though
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #850: Nov 06, 2011 10:34:52 pm
      For me personally, and I'm sure for many other fans. This result is extremely frustrating, another two important points dropped while everyone challenging around us won their games, arguably against harder opposition. This is extremely frustration because these are games we must be taking 3 points in.

I feel that Dalglish is forcing this team to play and gel together into this 442 formation and so far, it isn't working. It's hurting our results and performances in the short term. At what point do we say that points are more important to the team than team chemistry?

Downing proved once again that he's prone to inconsistency and was extremely poor yesterday. He made one excellent run and cross which Carroll banged against the bar, not much else. He seems lethargic, slow and lazy in his movement, especially defensively. Offered very little protection to Enrique. Think Dalglish needs to realise that changes are needed, and Downing's been the poorest player of the lot recently.

On the opposite side, Henderson showed that he isn't suited to the right wing. He cut inside through the middle, more times than he stayed wide which left big gabs for Swansea to exploit with their pace. His skills are suited to the central midfield and I still believe that changing to a 433 would allow Henderson to play in his best position, which will let him progress more as a player.

For a 442 formation to work, you need both your wingers to perform to a high standard regularly, and I'm sorry to say but neither Henderson or Downing have been anywhere near good enough so far. Feel a little sorry for Henderson because he really isn't a right winger, seems like square pegs in round holes playing him on the right. Feels like Dalgish is trying to gel and mound this team into a 442. Where playing a 433, the players would fit into much better and would suit our players strengths a lot more.

In the middle, I'm still not convinced of the Lucas & Adam central midfeid partnership. Adam seems to struggle in a 2 man midfield, he's defensively weak and is mobility his fairly poor. Lucas seems to cover him when he misplays a pass and Adam hasn't got the pace to catch up to play quick. Honestly, we should just play 3 in the middle. Let Henderson play in his best position. Adam plays where he shines best, in a 3 man midfield. Let's Lucas just sit without any offensive liabilities, which be does as well as anyone in the world. Playing a 3 man midfield would with Lucas as the defensive midfielder would stop the space between midfield and defense which so many teams have exploited so far. Would allow one or two of the midfielders to sit deeper, and allow one of the midfielders to make forward runs into the box which was severely lacking.

Our defence was decent enough first half until we started to lose control of the midfield, two clean sheets in a row shows a reason to be optimistic. Pepe Reina was forced into a couple of top saves, and we had a few scares with a flash volly from Graham and a few long range effects which just went wide. It seemed so easy for Swansea to attack our defence with the amount of space they got. Swansea were good but we invited them to come at us through the middle of the pitch and there were so much space it felt like our midfield has completely ceded to them.

I'm very frustrated and annoyed, but we need to learn from our mistakes. I'm sure Dalglish will make changes with the personal and possibly with the formation. With our rivals grinding out wins, the performance isn't really on my agenda. It's all about the results and I'm afraid to say, they haven't been good enough. Espcially at home against sides we should be beating.

It feels like some players feel that we have a god given right to win matches against relegation favourites, but we don't. It's 11 vs 11 men, no more, no less. Money, power, respect don't come into it. Passion has a funny way of biting you in the ass when the odds are so one heavily sided. We didn't show enough heart or passion and we haven't really shown that against the weaker enough this season.

Perhaps that's where the fans should help the team out? They were silent and a disgrace yesterday. Every fan who went to the Stoke away match, deserves a home ticket for the next match. Thats a proper atmosphere and it gave the team the determination, energy and the belief that it could come from behind to win. And you know what, it worked !!!

I'm glad that King Kenny has said in his post match interviews and said that the level of our performance was "unacceptable" and "disappointing". It gives us fans, comfort and its heartnening to hear that, because obviously that's the media diluted version so I imagine what is said behind closed doors will be more colourful. I'm glad that Kenny feels that way because I hope this means that we'll see more desire, urgency and energy in our next game, along with looking at the players and the tactical side of our set up and review carfully and dictate looking for changes which might improving our performance.

Anyway, onwards and upwards :scarf:
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2011 10:59:17 pm by lfc_ynwa »

Quick Reply